How to open glovebox with smashed handle

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evan

Reaction score
ahhhh the joys of living in katherine...

so some clever bugger got in to my nav the other day. turns out you can lock the truck with the doors partly open, then when you close them it unlocks.

no beeps or flashing lights or anything. but if someone is a little late closing the door and i don't realise, it's very easy for one of the locals to make a mess trying to get into the locked glovebox.

i don't have photos on me, and hardly get a chance to get on here but the handle is completely rooted and i'm trying to work out if i can unbolt hinges or something like that from underneath??

any suggestions??

Unfortunately the screws that hold the glovebox in are inside the glovebox. Two are underneath and ought to be accessible while the glovebox is closed but you need to open it to get to the last two. Here's a pic I took when doing a step-by-step for the pollen filters:

pollenfilter1.jpg

You can see the two screw holes just above the internal sides of the glovebox.

You might be able to get to the hinges underneath as well. If you undo the lower screws you can pull the glovebox out a little and may be able to pop the hinge like that.

Shitty, fiddly work and needs smaller hands and frame than I have, I don't envy you.

Just and went to have a look at mine
the hinge is held in place with 3 screws that screw in from above.The glove box would possible close over the screws when closed. You might have to pull the dash out to get it open.Now I only looked at the bottom compartment.
I also checked the locked deal.
I locked mine with the passenger front door open. It stayed locked even when I closed the door.
On the dash is the manual locking switch. It has a yellow glow when its locked and it never changed with the door open or closed

Last edited:
I can't even lock mine if one of the doors is open or even ajar the NATS beeps and carries on if it can't lock all four doors. If you've got a factory NATS I'd be getting it checked.

cheers for the help with the glovebox guys. unfortunately i have rather stubby passion fingers so might have to get a pro to have a fiddle. i'm not going to give up trying to get it open by somehow activating the latch...

as for the locking thing, i can definitely, 100% lock the doors with the beeper when they're open. i thought it was retarded seeing as most cars these days beep or flash at ya. i can't lock the doors with the button on the driver's door if one is open, they lock and unlock straight away. perhaps it's just the driver's door - haven't tried it on all 4. will have to get it looked at i guess...

I've never bothered to look into the NATS on my ute, it's a case of it's there, it works and I don't need to know anything more until it doesn't work but I can't see why two NATS in different cars would work differently, theoretically they should all be connected the same way and use the same parts. I suppose when humans become involved anything is possible and things may get connected wrong, but I can confirm if one door on mine (apart from the tailgate), is not shut properly the system will not lock and set the alarm.

My R51 will lock with the doors open and does not unlock again as you shut them! Bloody stupid IMO, makes it way too easy to lock keys in. A fiend had a Murano that did the same and she ended up locked on the outside with three kids strapped into the back seat one day. Must check what the Xtrail does.

I liked the old Datsun setup where the drivers door physically could not be locked unless it was shut. You would have to work at it to lock the keys in.

Wow I must have got the wrongly wired one then, cause there is no way to remote lock mine without all doors being shut and the remote in hand. It also wont lock with the spare key if the other key is in the ignition, however it will lock with the interior light on and after about 10 mins the light sets the NATS off. I've only ever tried the keylock once and I can't remember how that operates.

Wow I must have got the wrongly wired one then, cause there is no way to remote lock mine without all doors being shut and the remote in hand. It also wont lock with the spare key if the other key is in the ignition, however it will lock with the interior light on and after about 10 mins the light sets the NATS off. I've only ever tried the keylock once and I can't remember how that operates.

your not that special, mines the same,
with the glove box try a thin hard wire bent at right angle ,feed through and try to get the striker inside.and patients grasshopper

hooray internet. in the navara of all places, how ironical!!!

confirmed that the front doors 100000% can be locked when open, and will unlock when you close them. the rear doors stay locked.

if the key is in you can't lock the doors at all, it beeps.

oh and i got in - there's enough of the mechanism left for me to wedge the keys in and lift 'up' to get in. i now have a superduper drunken idiot proof glovebox, there's nothing else for the idiots to smash trying to bum a smoke or 50c...

Latest posts

Back