spider gears

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue boy

Reaction score
put my 08 d-40 into nissan to find a dull ticking noise coming from the rear end. (sound s like a rock stuck in the tyre)

It took them all day to find it but they think its coming from the spider/planetry gears in the diff, as there some marks on them.

the service manager has taken photos and sent it away to nissan Aus to see what they wanna do about it?

i spoke to my mechanic and since the ute's only got 53 000km on it he reckons that it would've of happenend in the production phase of the spider gears, when it's been hardened.

the car less than 3yrs old so i'd think it'd be a no brainer to be covered by new car warranty. But we'll see what bullshit excuse Nissan come up with.

The dealership said if it were up to them they'd put a new diff in it under warranty but time will tell.

i've requested a copy of the photo's they took, so i'll bang them up when i get them.

cheers blue boy

Good luck with that. Our '09 Nav is now 16 months old give or take a couple of weeks and we're just passing 53,000km on it. No sign of any ticking in the back, but I ought to get the wife to drive slowly along the road while I walk alongside.

How loud was this noise?

you can only hear it when your coasting in neutral from under 40 km other wise there's too much road noise. i thought i was just being paranoid but luckily i took it in.

the car got it's 55 000km service yesty at my mechanic and he found that the back wheel bearings were loose and 1 of the seals at the tail shaft were leaking.

Good on ya nissan you were under it for a day and they didn't pick those up, or they just didn't tell me.

this is the best photo they gave me.

Attachments

• tn[1].jpg
    tn[1].jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 82
I read this thread a while back and it did not occur to me then, but if they reckon a continuous ticking sound is coming from the spider and or side gears when coasting along in a straight line they do not know what they are talking about!

When going in a straight line the gears they have sent the pic of are stationary with respect to the housing containing them! They only turn when you go around a corner, which is what they are there for, to allow differential action.

Crownwheel or maybe a carrier or wheel bearing would be my bet, or something in the brakes.

Good news. Gold coast Nissan rang today and said that Nissan aus has given the go ahead for a new diff under warranty. Blurrier, sounds like you know what your on about. My mechanic found that both back wheel bearings were loose the day after when it went in for a service the day after Nissan looked at. I bought that and a leaking seal in the transfer case to their attention which they said they'll fix. Hopefully the warranty work goes smoothly. I have so far been surprised with how well gold coast Nissan has handled it.

Latest posts

Back