Cobaw - Tuesday 5th April

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dion

Reaction score
Here's a trip for all the guys who aren't on the Mon-Fri 9-5 grind.

Tuesday 5th April daytime.

Me and MACD22 (Mark) are heading to Cobaw, I'm keen to see it plus it's between my place and Mark's.

I'm bringing chainsaw and drag cables, Mark is bringing snatch strap. Might have to take it slow back to the servo for air.

I'm keen to go as hard as my pegleg diff and Mark's tyres will let us, so it's not hardcore but it's not just touring. Haven't had many technical challenges lately

We'll be buying a roofies map but we'd be stoked to have company, especially if you've been to Cobaw before.

I'm not sure if this is automatically a VNOG event because it's in Victoria or what the story is, Aido you can set me straight, I don't want to stand on toes or anything.

So put your hand up if you're available and keen on a wheel

Can't make it due to work commitments.
Cobaws tracks were almost impassable in Jan, with bad erosion and so many trees down.
I'd recommend Toolangi as an alternative, I was up there on the weekend, muddy and slippery, lots of fun!.

Want technical then Cobaws is it...slow going and deep washouts. Most trees should have been cleared by now...we cut up half of them. Perhaps contact the DSE and see whether they have put a dozer through there yet.

Hey guys.

I was out there today with work and it's probably not the best idea to head out there yet.
Most of the tracks are still impassable, and blocked with trees.
I've had my crew out there for a couple of days now, but it's taking a while to get through, especially since alot of the tracks we can't finish with the washouts (we're only in a stock Hilux!).

As far as I'm aware, the part from the motorbike unloading area up through Smiths track has been dozed... at least I think it's Smiths (LOL!), and we've just finished clearing trees off Mansfields track (to the intersection with Smiths)... However it was a bit rough down the bottom for us to get down in the Hilux...

Gooches (it says Googles in the maps) Fireline isn't passable, as there is a massive washout that you'll never get through. You may be able to get around it, but I can't tell you what's up further as I just haven't gone past there yet..

Link track is passable, but if you go left at the bottom you come across a heap of big trees that is next on my list to get to, and if you go right, there is a bit of a washout that if you've got better skills that I do, you may be able to get through.

We started on Natives track late this afternoon, but only got about 400m through before it was time to knock off.

Boyles road was dozed, but what it's condition is like now, I do not know.

But, basically, at this stage, the only track I can almost 100% assure you is clear, is Ridge Rd!

Hopefully I'll get a better idea in the coming weeks!

No worries mate.
If I see you guys proposing something out that way I'll try and get out and check the tracks for ya's...

I'm not sure if this is automatically a VNOG event because it's in Victoria or what the story is, Aido you can set me straight, I don't want to stand on toes or anything.

Hey Dion, Aido may have missed this question - so for what it's worth I reckon if it's organised by a Victorian on this forum then it's VNOG!

And good on ya for posting up.

Thanks for that info Mozza.

Could we get another update on your clearing progress next Sunday? Bearing in mind I am actually after something challenging but not muddy

Having said that I don't want to spend the day on the chainsaw, I already do that for a job, so your info is priceless

Thanks for that info Mozza.

Could we get another update on your clearing progress next Sunday? Bearing in mind I am actually after something challenging but not muddy

Having said that I don't want to spend the day on the chainsaw, I already do that for a job, so your info is priceless

Yeh I can do that, however, bear in mind that we're not spending all day/every day out there at the moment. It's not my area, and although I work for the DSE, I am based in a Parks Victoria depot that is reluctant to let me do anything outside their area... Even if it is fire management. I am trying to get my boys out there as much as possible these days though.

Gotta love workplace politics!!!

Latest posts

Back