tyre size

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banga

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm soon to replace the original tyres on my D40. I was looking at going up to a 265/75R16 and was curious to know if anyone running this size notices a more sluggish performance with bigger tyres. particulaly cause mine is a manual which carries around 500-600kg daily and the first gear take off especially uphills can be little sluggish.
Any experience or thoughts would be great.

mate i have bfg a/t 265's on my d40, its a manual diesel and still goes great. no diffrence to a mates the same with stock road tyres i dont rekon. hope that helps

Hmmmm I reckon you will notice it but the difference won't be huge and the bigger tyres will look heaps better so will be worth it.

hey bright spark,
just wondering if your BF's are the 70 or 75 profile. The 70 proflie has a OD of 778mm and the 75 an OD of 808mm, at the moment the my stockies OD are 763mm was wondering if the jump in 45mm tyre size would have an effect.

iv got 265/75-16 on mine and its fine, you will find that most people run that size with no dramas

I run the 265/75 R16 maxxis muddies on my Manual D40, and probably have at least the same load in the back of my nav, same as you.

First gear take off is a bit slow/sluggish, but i'm not trying to keep up with the traffic anymore like i used to with 2wd large 6 cyliders cars that i've owned.

you will notice that fuel usage may go up, if your always stop/start traffic. But with normal traffic and throw in some highway from time to time, it should not be too bad at all.

But as per a previous comment .... the larger tyre looks HEAPS better.

I noticed the braking suffered more than the performance but you will get used to it and eventually not remember the difference. As said ya gotta get some height under these things somehow so the bigger the tyre the better.

I cant believe any aftermarket mobs havent invested in making some lower diff ratios for these yet, I think they would sell heaps. Sorry that is another story! lol

i've noticed the braking is different - but i think in my case I had BFG all-terrains (which are good on/off road) at 31", and have changed to Maxxis Muddies 32" (great off road, not as good on road).

The muddies are VERY noisy - but i dont mind too much. But will do my research really carefully before i buy my next set of 32" tyres. (will be many years, as i have a set of 8 tyres)

hey mate, i have 265/75/16s on my 2010 ST manual, only put them on friday just gone (25th) they are kuhmos, havnt really noticed to much difference, but i dont carry any weight in the back of mine.. a lil bit noisy when you get over 60-70 kms but they are great and look awsome with some black sunnys on 'em.. just dont use them as your every day tires because you'll have to fork out about $230 a pop every 20,000 km!!

hey mate, i have 265/75/16s on my 2010 ST manual, only put them on friday just gone (25th) they are kuhmos, havnt really noticed to much difference, but i dont carry any weight in the back of mine.. a lil bit noisy when you get over 60-70 kms but they are great and look awsome with some black sunnys on 'em.. just dont use them as your every day tires because you'll have to fork out about $230 a pop every 20,000 km!!

are your tyres muddies? how come you only get 20thousand from a set i had bfg's on my d22 and got 110thousand from both sets

I run the 265 75 combo manual also no problems compared to stock wheels.
Fuel usage does go down acording to the odometer but it corrects the speedo.
so the fuuel difference is not as great as the odometer says in comparison between the 2 tyres.
As with stock tyres your odometer is faster than travelling speed so it reads your travelling further than you really are giving you better fuel consumption. (also more frequent services) As opposed to the 265 75 combo gives you an actual accurate reading of distance so the LP100K calculated at the bowser will be accurate.

Hi mad D40 i've noticed that when tghe GPS says i'm doing a 100km/h the speedo says about 95, i had a look on one of the tyre size calc sites and it shows 265/75 will indeed correct the speedo.

Hi Graiegie, did u fit the 265/75/16s on with the standard front bumber or do you have bar on ?
Looking at putting them on my 2010 ST but was told they would not fit with front bumber.

Cheers
AAT

They will if your doing extreme suspension travel if off-road, or frequently doing full lock turns in carparks. But they are fine for normal driving.

I do suggest that a suspension upgrade is well worth doing though.

I've got some 265 75 16 Mickey T MTZ's for sale $500 for the set, there's an ad in the for sale section somewhere, might be a cheap way to see if they suit you or not.

Oh, in Sydney

I've gone with a set of 265/70 Cooper AT3's ... was recommended by a couple of places to stick with the 70's rather than the 75's.

I have Mickey Thompson FC-II 285/75/16's, I've noticed a bit of drop, but it's not bad. I'll get it back and more when I chip it.

Latest posts

Back