no recovery point ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarryd

Reaction score
hey guys so went out 4wding today and came to a tricky part where i might have had to get dragged out , went looking for recovery points and i cant find any ?

all of us had a look and couldnt find one....

the only thing i could think of is that it is under a plate that my tjm bullbar covers ?

wtf.

I have only been out with guys that have arb bars and we all have a recovery point under the passenger side front of chassis just under the bars mounting point.
I think its factory but maybe just an ARB thing if you dont have one there.
Or whoever put the bar on could have forgot to re install the thing which would be very handy.

I have usedmine to pull a car out that was wedged in under the armco ( Summernats stuff) and seemed ok and have used it a few times to drag cars out of sand traps and it hasnt busted.
To be honest I dont like the design at all and will be replacing it first chance I get.It looks like a piece of casting that was designed to tie the trucks down for transport.Havent heard of one breaking though and I dare say they have been used before for snatching

I have been in all sorts of prediciments and been snatched countless times using that factory point.
Never have I heard a bad noise or any faults I can see around it
It is just a pain in the ass to get to when your knee deep in mud. Best bet is to shackle a strap to it then wrap the strap round the bar.

While were on the topic other than the Xrox bar is there any bar that has recovery points on the bar itself?? like Hummer style type?

I don't like the design either,i got another hook off a frontier for the other side and use a equalizer.

Sounds like the recovery point was removed when the TJM bar went on?

I've used the factory std one on many occasions - i've also bought a 2nd one to fit on the other side (but it doesnt fit with my bash plate on).

I'd like to do what navarian has done, and get an after market one on the drivers side.

On the lhd frontier the hook is on our drivers side,same hook but with a different curve,bolts straight in to the holes provided on the drivers side chassis.
I bought it from usa ebay,a guy was wrecking a frontier.
I only use these hooks still because the outback ideas recovery points(correct me if i'm wrong)can't be used unless you have a bar.

Last edited:
I have twin 'Outback Ideas' recovery points fitted up. They bolt straight on where the bash plate is secured.

i rung tjm but they are looking into it and are going to call me back but the guy did mention that outback ideas thing ....

why should i have to pay for a new point ... just cause they couldnt provide one on their bar and removed my original one.....

If i had a bar fitted i would happily buy the outback ideas points because they are rated and also where the most force will be applied is alot closer to the chassis than the hooks.
If you troll through the frontier forums from memory ther is a thread on those hooks tearing out and/or bending the chassis under severe conditions.
That is why i fitted the extra hook and use a equalizer.

Last edited:
...those hooks tearing out and/or bending the chassis under severe conditions.
That is why i fitted the extra hook and use a equalizer.

Agreed I always use an equalising strap - just reduces the risk of damage and things going wrong under strain.

I found the "factory recovery point" some of you have been talking about in the manual.

It's called a "towing point" and is really only for loading the vehicle onto a tow truck.

The manual makes a very vague attempt to describe how to do vehicle recovery, the main point being:

Tow chains or cables must be attached only to the main structural members of the vehicle.

Now that towing point isn't rated very highly. Just above the quoted advice is this warning:

Never tow the vehicle using only the towing points. To avoid
damaging the vehicle body, use proper towing equipment when
towing.

So I'd imagine that leaving that "towing point" alone and using something like the Outback Recovery Points - one on each chassis rail - and an equalising strap - would be the best way to approach it.

I don't have these. I have a winch mounted in a Nissan (ARB) steel bar (mounts to both chassis rails) up front and on the back I have a Hayman Reese tow hitch with a hitch receiver and 4.75T shackle.

I may get the Outback Ideas recovery points anyway - but I won't use that "towing point".

Anyone got a link for the Outback Ideas recovery points?

Murph

ARB sell them - or this looks like it: bottom of the page, left column.

I can't find them on TJM's site (which seems hopelessly slow, not very friendly and rather incomplete).

Supercheap have one ("Ridge Ryder") but I don't know if it's the same quality - but you know, it can't be far off, as long as those bolts are 8.8 high tensile.

I can't find a web site for Outback Ideas themselves - only an address in Victoria.

Those hooks don't fit,holes are too close together.
Try tjm for outback ideas or google them.
There is another thread here somewhere with another brand that look the same also.

Spoke to tjm again they said the factory point isn't rated etc , and their point requires drilling and mounting to the chassis :/ is there any thing that. Bolts on factory holes ?

the outback ideas ones do as far as I am aware. I am about to buy them from TJM adelaide this week

went into tjm on the way home from work ...........

useless is all im going to say , im really dissapointed in them i should of went arb.....

no help what so ever with the car and then i asked about underbody guard for the sump and nope not for the thai builds....

im even thinking i should of spent that bit more and just got an sr5 hilux :/.......

Latest posts

Back