D21 gearbox where to find exchange ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wouter

Reaction score
Hi this is my first post and is only out of desperation as i cannot find an exchange or 2nd hand gearbox for my d21 07/1995 2.4 petrol 4x4 navara, i have searched on ebay, called countless wreckers, etc and have come up with nil, most gearbox repairers say it would cost about $1500 plus any other parts that may need replacement ...a bit open ended,

i have had the car for about 12 years and it has done about 250,000 ( speedo sensor was failed for a few years and odometer was not recording, but has been fixed and is fine now ) it seems a shame to wreck the car because of the gearbox...I can't justify spending $3000 on it as it would not be worth much more...any ideas about best option ? ( i live in perth )

Just keep an eye on gumtree mate - if your quick you can pickup some good bargains.
Might be easier for you to find a Unrego wrecking Navara with any issue but gearbox. Ive seen some go for just a few hundred.
As long as its not the 3l then the gearbox will be the same.
Also the terrano gearbox is the same, but they are mostly auto's.

Needs to be 4 cyl petrol. Diesel engines have a different bell housing too.

Bugger of a job getting the gearbox out though.

Thanks for your replies, I found a reconditioned 4 x 4 D21 box on gumtree from a mechanic ( in belmont )who will supply and fit it for $1595 using my bell housing and transfer case as it came from a 4 x 4 diesel ute, i think the term reconditioned means mainly new bearings...booked in for changeover on 4th may...i assume the ratios are the same, if not will it just mean the speedo may not be accurate ? i would expect then for the speedo to be fine in 4th as it is straight through in that gear ?

Thanks for your replies, I found a reconditioned 4 x 4 D21 box on gumtree from a mechanic ( in belmont )who will supply and fit it for $1595 using my bell housing and transfer case as it came from a 4 x 4 diesel ute, i think the term reconditioned means mainly new bearings...booked in for changeover on 4th may...i assume the ratios are the same, if not will it just mean the speedo may not be accurate ? i would expect then for the speedo to be fine in 4th as it is straight through in that gear ?

The speedo measures the speed from the transfer case so gear ratios will not affect its accuracy. The gear ratios are the same between the diesel and petrol anyway.

Reconditioned can mean new bearings, synchros, even new dogs and gearsets depending on necessity.

hi guys
I have just brought a 2.4 pet nav but the gearbox is no good so i would like to no if a nav 96 deisel gearbox would be ok to use. I have heard that it would be posable but you have to change the bellhousing as the petrol and the deisels are differant. would like to no if this is true.
all the help would be good.

Both manual gearboxes? What year is your Nav? Should find the model of the gearbox on the compliance plate in the engine bay.

Hey Wouter

im also in Wa mate any chance you might pass on the name of that mechanic? maybe a phone number?

Latest posts

Back