Head unit in d40 stx

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bncfxstc

Reaction score
hi all. i have searched the forum and havent got a definate answer so ill ask here.. i have a 07 d4o stx and want to put one of those dvd gps lcd screen things in it like the ones that are on ebay. i want to know which one will fit best as ive bein reading that some hit the support brace.. which one is the best for fittment and userbility...also i have pulled mine out and i seem to have 2 different anntena cables the normal one which is in use and the flat one pin plug looking thingy...i traced it up to the panel between the windscreen and the drivers door and it isnt plugged in there its just there as some sort of option.why is there 2?? also another bit of loom with a connector on it floating at the back of the head unit which wasnt plugged into any thing.. would that be for steering wheel controls?? can i put in steering wheel controls or is it a massive job..ive done a heap of research but any help would be greatly appreciated... cheers paul..sorry bout the long first post..

Hey bud
Any double DIN unit will fit as for hitting the support brace I found it was the AV cables I just bought some 90deg elbows and that fixed the problem easily.
Mine is an 09 model with the antenna cable it has the 2 pins then has a converter plug which converts it back to standard antenna plug shape. I know you can buy those from your local car audio shop gurus.
Just a note if your looking at GPS unit from Ebay check what programming it runs and how much it is to update. some are shit expensive to update and are not real good all together.
I would look at buying a gps that is seperate monitor compatible and interwebbing the 2 together.
Hope that has shed some kind of light on it for you

Hey mate,

I would recommend getting a decent head unit like a kenwood DNX5360NAV, i have just put one in my ST and it fits well. It will cost about $1300 bucks but you are paying for quality. I wouldnt recommend the chinese shit because even though it says it comes with a warranty you still have to sent it back to china to get it repaired. Just be aware that some units dont come with bluetooth even though they say they have bluetooth compatibility. I had to buy an adaptor for my bluetooth (100 bucks from America) but at least i know it is quailty. You will also need steering wheel control adaptors ($100) and an aerial adaptor ($15-$30). Here is a link of the one i put in my 2010 ST.

Kenwood - DNX5360

Here is a picture of it installed

Attachments

• 218011_10150568309275484_903915483_18229698_385288_n.jpg
    218011_10150568309275484_903915483_18229698_385288_n.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 532
re:stx head unit

Hi Paul,
I have just installed the DIG Options unit from ebay in a 2009 stx. Havent really had a chance to test it out completely yet but here is all the info I can give you so far.
Installation: Pretty easy... all the plugs and cables fitted and worked no problems. Things to pay attention to are to connect small red wire on reversing camera plug to your reversing light wire to trigger camera when reversing and to earth the "brake" input wire on the back of the unit to allow dvd to run. The supplied mounting bracket didnt quite match to the supplied head unit perfectly but 2 seconds with a drill and that problem was solved.(Just elongated 2 screw holes on the bracket a bit). When all bolted up the unit fits the original dash hole fine with no unsightly gaps or problems at all. Oh yeah remember to insert the supplied sd card to boot the GPS. Dont worry about steering wheel controls as the unit is touch screen and heaps easier to use than wheel controls.
Performance: As I said i havent had a chance to give it a good work out yet but so far so good. All the functions work ok. Still getting used to menus etc but mostly self explanitory. Sound quality is reasonably good (obviously it is not a $1200 unit type quality) but for general use it is fine. GPS is quite good so far (bit slower than my tom tom but not bad) and has a off road function (not sure what that is yet). Reversing camera works ok.Camera quality is lacking a bit but could easily be improved with a better camera I think. I also installed reversing lights which make a big difference at night.
Basically so far I cant knock it for the price. Everything fits easily and works fine.
Heading away for a week tomorrow with the navara so will be able to give more info after I get back if anyone is keen to know more.

hi all. i have searched the forum and havent got a definate answer so ill ask here.. i have a 07 d4o stx and want to put one of those dvd gps lcd screen things in it like the ones that are on ebay. i want to know which one will fit best as ive bein reading that some hit the support brace.. which one is the best for fittment and userbility...also i have pulled mine out and i seem to have 2 different anntena cables the normal one which is in use and the flat one pin plug looking thingy...i traced it up to the panel between the windscreen and the drivers door and it isnt plugged in there its just there as some sort of option.why is there 2?? also another bit of loom with a connector on it floating at the back of the head unit which wasnt plugged into any thing.. would that be for steering wheel controls?? can i put in steering wheel controls or is it a massive job..ive done a heap of research but any help would be greatly appreciated... cheers paul..sorry bout the long first post..

The older model Dig Options units did not fit as the GPS antenna socket fould on the brace. VMS unit will fit perfectly although its more expensive but you get waht you pay for.

Hi Paul,

I bought an ebay DVD/GPS from seller "easydeals636". I just did a quick search, and whilst he doesn't have any listed currently for a Nav, he does have other systems - so you should be able to get in touch and ask for one. I opted for an Aussie seller - but probably a bit cheaper from HK. Paid aroud $500.

He was a really good seller. The unit supplied came with a 90 degree GPS plug, and did not foul the cross member at all - it must be close, but zero problems. I mounted the GPS receiver on top of the dash - a perfect spot in the centre, near the base of the screen.

I've ran the unit for about 7,000ks (4 months) - and overall it works very very well. Only negative is a very faint screen flicker once in a while and bluetooth doesn't pick up voice very well. Maybe look for one with provision for an external MIC - this unit doesn't allow for this (unless hard wired in the unit - haven't attempted yet)

The inbuilt GPS software (not familiar with brand) is very good - and has the most comprehensive pre loaded POIs I've ever had in any device (Bunnings, Kmarts, Motels on the road to Fraser - all there with correct contact numbers). I have come across the occasional wrong road, but very recent changes, so not too bad. GPS signal reception has never been a problem.

The digital TV is rubbish. You'll need a better aerial than the one supplied if you want this to work.

The SD card slot is great - chucked an 8gb card in there and allows for heaps of tunes.

The ipod controler is a bit clunky - too hard basket for me.

DVD/CD and radio works very well - no skips.

Yet to hook up the rear camera - which came included in the kit.

The install gave me some minor problems. The original harness supplied did not suit my Spanish 07 D40 STX. So, I described what harness I needed - and he sent a new, correct one, at no charge. I suggest you take a photo of what you need and send to him before completing the sale to speed things up. Once I had the correct one - it was truely plug and play.

And - by the by - rather than mess around with loading off road maps - I've just downloaded the iPhone app "mudmaps" and download the map tiles I need in advance (for about $3 each) So far, for about 4 wk ends in the high country i've only needed to buy 2x maps! Works great in addition to a paper map. and NO GPS reception required on the Iphone.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Oh, and RE steering wheel controls. My unit does support this - but the buttons to suit the steering wheel cost an arm and a leg! So it was a dead end for me....

I had 2 plugs - and had a few others lurking around in there too. If they didn't plug in before, just ignore them. They aren't needed.

Ebay have the Nissan controls for $295. No idea if that is closer to retail or trade price but I don't know for sure that the factory wiring from the head unit to the wheel is actually installed. There is plenty of extra cables in the ST-X which are likely to be for the climate control so there is a chance the stereo control cable is there but I haven't had it confirmed.

great info guys... thanks for the replys.... will let you all know how i go when i do mine...

Just an update on this head unit. It seemed to be sorta working ok except the useless tv which only got sbs and the radio was dodgy on reception even with a antenna booster. Well i went to use the nav today and all hell broke loose. It froze and turned chinese. I cant read chinese so was shitting but lucky i found the half arsed users manual which helped me enough to change it back to english. Well then i started playing with all sorts of settings and crap and now the thing works better than when i first put it in. The radio reception is perfect and it picked up 28 tv channels. More than my tv in the house.. I think they set the things up in china as best they can but they really need to be set up from scratch when you install them.. Stoked now.

Latest posts

Back