D40 Petrol Snorkel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

od_40

Reaction score
Hey,

I went through some mud/water crossing at straddy while following a mates d40 diesel fitted with a snorkel. And thought it'd be safer to do it again next time with a snorkel considering the water was up above the tyres and that the intake isn't far above that.

So, I am looking for a snorkel for the d40 petrol navara. All I see is diesel versions. Anyone know where I can find a decent snorkel for petrol d40?

And also, how much can you benifit from a snorkel on a petrol engine? Mainly getting it for as insurance and to keep dirt/dust from the filter. But, I heard that you still can't drive into water as deep as the diesels.

Thanks

Last edited:
The big difference is the spark plugs. Petrol's need 'em, that's how your fuel is ignited for combustion. Diesels don't have spark plugs, no hi voltage lines, no distributor. You can wade through windscreen deep in a diesel and it just keeps going, as long as it has air.

Petrols are very difficult to waterproof. A small amount of water anywhere near the spark plugs or the leads and it's all over, and stopping in the middle of the water will guarantee your cabin will start filling with water too.

For that reason, they generally don't refer to snorkels as being available for petrols, since most people consider a snorkel as something you use to go underwater with.

However, you are absolutely spot on the money with your desire to get cooler, cleaner air from up high.

The good news: there's every chance that the petrol air box is in the same location as the diesels. Diesel engines use a lot of air - there's no butterfly in the intake restricting the airflow, diesels gulp a lungfull every (intake) stroke of the piston - so if the snorkel's good enough for the diesel, it'll be more than adequate for the petrol, I'd imagine - despite the larger cubes.

It's worth trying. Make sure it gets sealed properly too. I think, from memory, that ARB do the job right, but Nissan dealers tend to leave the leaks. My own snorkel leaks worse than a ho on Saturday morning, so I've gotta go over it with Sikaflex sooner or later (and before I take it swimming again!).

Latest posts

Back