Heavy on juice

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navara4x4

Reaction score
went for a drive on the weekend down south W.A
about 500kms
use $110 worth of juice...

that cant be right..
my v8 on used $50

my motor KA24E

Last edited:
If it's a Z24, then you're doing pretty well I'd say.

is it possible you haven't driven the V8 since 1985 when petrol was 40c a litre?

Could be a couple of things on a KA24E. Brakes dragging, cooked ECU autolearn, or a combination of issues.

Best place to start would be to feel if brakes are really hot after driving.
Then try unhooking your battery for ten minutes and pressing the brakes, then hook the battery back up and go for a slow drive.
If you're still having the problem, you need to do a ground up EFI diagnosis. First up it helps to service the vehicle, then start the EFI diagnosis, you can google this but basically make sure you've got spark, fuel and compression. If any one of these is not quite right you'll use more fuel.

If it's a petrol, it's pretty good - Joe's figure of 14.5LPHK is about right and is better than our D40s, the petrol models get upwards of 15LPHK. You might have a lighter vehicle (the D40s are about 1980kg empty) so I would expect a little less usage for that, but it's still an odd shape - not very aerodynamic - travelling at highway speed would need a fair bit of fuel to keep it going.

Like Dion said, check the engine over. Air filter and spark plugs are common items that can degrade and impede a vehicle's economy.

thanks
took it to a friend whos a mechanic..
its a Z24...............

does the z24 have a ecu....its carby model..

can i get an electronic dizzy for the z24

Last edited:
The Navara spec Z24 is carby.

There a old design, based off the L series engine.

Economy sounds about right. Extractors, and a tune will help.

14.5 for a Z24 is actually pretty reasonable.
Electronic Dizzy - might be a couple of options. There was an electronic dizzy for the 8 spark version used in the states in the Navara, and possible some aussie cars (but not the 4WDs). Let us know how you go.

Found this little one on ebay usa. Not sure if it's electornic, but apparently its good for all models, including 4 cyl, 6 cyl and diesels :)

getting extractors from ebay.
new K&N air filter and 16" thermo fan..
will check enonomy after its all fitted,

is there an efi manifold for the z24
from other models L etc
i want an efi manifold to go straight lpg..

Last edited:
There is a throttle body injection manifold for the Z24 that maybe came out in some early pathfinders, but note exactly sure. Might only have been in the states

In fact here's one. I reckon it might even sit on your existing manifold in place of the carby. Not sure about electronics. Might be an ecu somewhere, couldn't tell you.

For a bit of extra work, a KA24E head will bolt on the Z24 block - think you have to block up one oil hole or something, and swap the cam gear over (Z24 - twin timing chain, KA24E, single timing chain). Also needs different exhaust headers and ecu and wiring. But then you have full injection.

Latest posts

Back