D40 Transfer Case wiring

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Gringo

Hi all,

My first post so go easy...

I have a 08 STX and played in a little mud on the weekend. Went great but after a steep climb in low range I got the 4wd warning light and it would not shift out of low range. Had a limited signal on the mobile but managed to do a few google searches and discovered that there appears to be plenty of reasons why you might get this happening.

We tried a few things with the electrics and then got under the car and disconnected all the wires we could find connected to the transfer case. We found some of the looms (not sure if that is the correct term) were wet. We dried them as best we could and washed a few with clean water and the connected it all back up.

This worked and have not had any issues since.

My question is, does anyone know of a product or a solution to keeping these things dry (apart from not driving in water!)?

I couldn't find anyone else with this exact problem or a solution - lots about other problems and solutions but I couldn't wade through it all so thought I would ask direct.

Thanks in advance

thanks for the heads up. its good to hear that you have been able to fix it track side. i have done i few deep muddy trenches and some reasonably deep river crossings and so far so good but if i have any troubles i will be checking those plugs thats for sure.

im not sure if this will help but i have herd of people separating electrical plugs on older cars and 4wd's and packing them full of Vaseline. i think they do that just before doing a trip that involves a lot of water crossings but i dont know if it is a very permanent solution. you would expect that there would be some sort of wax type product that is designed for that exact job on the shelves of repco or somewhere like that.

I've had my nav in plenty of water crossings, and as scottybobcat can testify, i've had my nav in muddy water too. I've not had any problems with transfer case wires getting wet and not getting out of 4wd or 4wd-low. (yet - touch wood).

iv done plenty of bog holes and over bonnet water crossings and no troubles as such, but the vaseline sounds like a great idea as it is waterproof, we sometimes use it on taps as a waterproof lubricant to stop leaking taps that arent closing properly so ill keep that in mind and might have to throw some in my tool box for when i go away

I too have done plenty of water and mud with no issues with the Transfer Control Box. Once it would not go out of low range when in the sand. I simply turned off the ute restarted and it disengaged.

However I have had an issue with water with the front temp sensor on the DPF delete pipe. Stones being thrown up wore away the plastic covering the wiring and water got in to the wiring and triggered the DPF light in the dash. I just ignored it given I don't have a DPF installed and once it dried out the light went out. I have since resealed the wiring and covered it with corregated split tubing.

BH

Latest posts

Back