Any here have experience with Pathfinders?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

d214x4Wannabe

G'day everyone... It looks like i am selling my 2x4 navara and i will be looking into buying a 4x4.... Now since i only have around 3k to spend i am thinking of buying a d21 pathfinder or a GQ patrol. I'd much rather the d21 but does anyone know what these are like in the mud? or even just off road doing moderate hill climbs and the like? My navara is pretty sluggish and i genereally have to flog the guts out of it to get up some of the hills my mates do quite easily/slowly in their Patrols. Anyway... Thanks for yr responses.

You're in a 2x4 going up against Patrols? They're in 2wd mode as well I hope?

If it's for hardcore offroading (even at any point in the future... ever), go the Patrol. The good thing about the D21s is:

• you can have a dual cab AND a tray, a combination which the Patrol doesn't come in, but that means squat to you since you're going a wagon

• WD21s are smaller and lighter than Patrols, so if you're prepared to do a lot of work (turbo, SAS) to make up ground to the patrols you'll have a more capable vehicle.
However, if you are into off roading, chances are you will get more and more into it until you reach the point Joshy is at - a SAS. Patrol is already solid front axle.

I didn't think $3000 got you far in GQ land? Gets you a long way with WD21s though.

GQ's are getting very cheap now, if yr like me and know your way around the mechanical side of things and dont want a show pony you can pick em up for around $3,000 (i work for one of the biggest 4x4 wreckers in the country)... and as for caining thru the bush with my mates in 4x4's i dont tackle the bog holes but i do most other things... if i ever get stuck they just pull me through it :)
I am now after something i can have fun with in the mud too after almost rolling my mates Daihatsu Scat last weekend, so much fun.... I am thinking the pathfinder might perform OK and if not i'll be doing an SR20 engine conversion as i have one at my disposal. Thanks for the replies, and keep em coming if anybody has experience with these pathfinders i wanna hear em :)

WD21 Pathy's are alright.

Couple of guys on 4WDmonthly are cluey with em, like China and Pinelli.

Dave.

Hi d214x4wannabe,

D21/WD21 are a good base to modify, but are you sure about the SR20 as an engine in this case? I've heard they're great as a racing engine, but low down torque may not be quite as good, which is what you'll want to get out of holes.

V6s are better, but more work. I did a KA24e in mine from a 99 Navara, and it was relatively simple. DOn't generally bother with first gear much, so I imagine in low range up a hill it would go alright.

I can't comment on offroad with it though, as it usually only happens accidentally. Go it mostly for the wet season up here as we often get flooded roads and boggy ground, and the extra height is nice.

Just had another thought on the SR20. I don't think it was every used in a 4x4 was it? The only real drama I had with the KA24 swap was that I got it out of a 2wd navara, so had to use the sump off the Z24 4WD, and it still needed modifying. You would probably need to fab up a sump for the SR20 to clear the front axle, change the oil pickup as well. It should bolt onto the gearbox, as long as you have a petrol pathfinder. Don't know about the engine mounts for the sr20 either, I suspect you'd need to fab those as well.

Depends on the application your talking about.

The SR20DE/DET/VET has been used in a shit load of AWD applications.

RN14 Pulsar, HNU12/HNU13/HNU14 Bluebirds, heaps of other JDM cars.

I do remember seeing a Sierra with a SR20DE under the bonnet.

I have always like the CA18DET more then the SR20DET. The CA18DET runs better valve train then the SR20.

Dave.

Depends on the application your talking about.

The SR20DE/DET/VET has been used in a shit load of AWD applications.

RN14 Pulsar, HNU12/HNU13/HNU14 Bluebirds, heaps of other JDM cars.

I do remember seeing a Sierra with a SR20DE under the bonnet.

AWD yes, offroad 4x4 no, correct? That at least means there's a sump kicking about that might fit.

Which Sierra, Suzuki or Ford?

Suzuki Sierra, I have always thought about getting a Sierra and dropping a a LD20 into it, L20B gearbox and MQ or Datsun 720 transfer and maybe MQ/MK diff's.

Would be an a weapon offroad, couldn't drive a non turbo diesel so a big bad wolf would be hanging off the exhaust manifold.

Ill find a link for SR20 powered vehicles.

Dave.

Had an option on a Suz Sierra recently, and looking around, saw a number of people squeezing in various V6 engines as well, including the dunny door.

Was very tempted.....

Latest posts

Back