SOS Help! advice needed ASAP!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allycat

Reaction score
G,day gents,

I have just had a Chip It chip installed and I am not happy to say the least. I am stranded with friends in a caravan park on the Sunshine Coast on day 2 of a Cape York trip!

Before I had the unit installed, I never had a problem with my 2005 Navara 6 speed manual, 118 k's on the clock. The chap that installed the unit to my vehicle was recommended by Chip It.

When he conducted the first dyno test, the result was 96kw and not too much smoke was produced. However, when the chip was installed and an hour of dyno testing later and with severe smoke produced the chip only produced 118kw not the 130+kw Chip It claim on this vehicle. The chap was not to happy with the exhaust tempretures.

The car was taken for a test run and the mechanic told me that he was disappointed with the result. He also confided to me that this was the first Navara D40 that he had installed a chip too. I took my car for a run and I could not notice much difference in power/ even though the dyno stated that the car was producing 118kws.

I was further advised that he took a stock standard Navara a few weeks earlier, and he thought that the stock vehicle went harder than my car with the Chip It unit installed.

The knock-out blow came when the installer advised that I should not go to the Cape due to the high exhaust temperature’s and that I should come back and see him on Monday for further testing, to see why my car is not getting the results that the chip should be producing.

At 3.30pm and 1,300 dollars later ($899 unit and $420 for dyno tune) , I left the premises feeling very depressed and devastated. However I am left in the dilemma with how much more is this chip going to cost me to get the alleged results that the company states publically on its web site.

Today my mate and I, conducted a series of basic tests with the instruments fitted on the car. ie, water temp v revs v boost presures v speedo v egt gauge under-load, with car fully weighted as delivered to the installer.

At 2500 revs underload, at 8 psi, at 100ks, water temp was 180 to 190, egt was 660. Note that my egt gauge is installed in the exhaust manifold.

A series other runs both underload and not produced the same egts. Before i had the chip installed yesterday, the exhaust temps were very similar in nature.

Question for Old Tony, Tweaks and the rest of the forum!

How hi are the exhaust temps on a manual D40 and is it common for them to run temps at times underload at 700 +

I am going back tomorrow for either a refund and not a cent more to be spent. Before the chip was installed the car was fine.

Could you please post advice, i will check day to day via internet!

Our trip to Cape York was twelve months in the planning and now it is all on hold due to this chip.

PS, Allycat is my wifes call sign, me being a dumb prick forgot my password. Wife is more offay than me when it comes to computers.

Regards,

RLI.
:cheers!:

Mate, you just can't cut a break by the looks of things.

My first guess would be that there's some other problem with your car that's causing the problem. The chips shouldn't be all that complex to install (or remove, which you could do and at least have the vehicle back the way it was). However ...

If you're only pumping 8psi of boost then my guess is your turbo's vanes aren't moving properly. This could be sticky vanes - unlikely - an actuator that's sticky or simply a leak in the vacuum line (highly likely). At idle, watch the little arm that sticks under the actuator - it should move in and out across a range of about 3-5mm. If it's not, follow the vacuum lines back - maybe one has a crack or a hole in it. Fix it, fix your boost, get all your power back and - because the chip is expecting the turbo to pump air like the blazes (about 18-24psi, not 8psi) you'll find there's a lot less smoke too.

As for EGT - under heavy load, right at the manifold where it meets the turbo - you can expect the temps to hit 700C. If they climb up to 750C you know you're really pushing hard and need to back off. Exceed 750C and you risk causing damage to the engine in some way.

shit man, sorry i got no advice but hope it works out...i can imagine you'd be anxious on the 2nd day!

My advice would be to unplug the chip.
(not a hard job)
Then, go on your well planned cape trip, enjoy your nav without the chip and sort it out after you have thoroughly enjoyed yourself.
Bryce

Mate, you just can't cut a break by the looks of things.

My first guess would be that there's some other problem with your car that's causing the problem. The chips shouldn't be all that complex to install (or remove, which you could do and at least have the vehicle back the way it was). However ...

If you're only pumping 8psi of boost then my guess is your turbo's vanes aren't moving properly. This could be sticky vanes - unlikely - an actuator that's sticky or simply a leak in the vacuum line (highly likely). At idle, watch the little arm that sticks under the actuator - it should move in and out across a range of about 3-5mm. If it's not, follow the vacuum lines back - maybe one has a crack or a hole in it. Fix it, fix your boost, get all your power back and - because the chip is expecting the turbo to pump air like the blazes (about 18-24psi, not 8psi) you'll find there's a lot less smoke too.

As for EGT - under heavy load, right at the manifold where it meets the turbo - you can expect the temps to hit 700C. If they climb up to 750C you know you're really pushing hard and need to back off. Exceed 750C and you risk causing damage to the engine in some way.

G,day folks,

Sorry for taking so long to respond. will advise the out-come when i get back home! A special thanks to the boy's at Townsville Diesel service for fixing and DYNO tuning the D40, all for $250.00.

We have had a great trip up to the cape.

PS Will advise more when i get home.:rock:

Regards

RLI

I fully agree with Old Tony, and you'd be surprised how many times the bundle of vacuumhoses from intake to vacuumpump and back to vnt solenoid and vnt actuator are crossed up or kinked after some minor fiddling on the engine's hotside. If full boost isn't anywhere near 18-19psi that should be your clue.

I'm no car genius but the boost psi seems way to low. As others state if its not at around 20psi you have a problem. Check the vac lines for cracks, splits or even kinked hose. Goodluck and hope it gets fixed.

Latest posts

Back