Airbags or Lift kit

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craighaty7

Reaction score
I know there's tons of info throughout this forum on suspension changes, but I want to ask a direct question:
I'm "AM" going to improve my rear suspension, as I carry a lot of weight and looks like the bum's dragging (ugly, like a wormy dog) ...
which way to go - airbags or lift kit (springs)?

My vote would be for springs. Air bags can go wrong and I'd rather be supporting weight with something more substantial than what I'd put in a party balloon.

Only problem with springs is the rear axle will jolt on bumps when the vehicle's unloaded.

I would vote lift kit, but airbags may be better depending on if you have varied weight. Might be worth looking at a combination if you are not constant weight.

That said, I have medium duty OME kit in the back and wehen fully loaded for camping there is not much sag and normal road performance for a ute empty.

If it always loaded then go the heavy springs. If its 50% loaded/unloaded then I would consider air bags.

It'll be 90% loaded (about 600Kg, total GVM 2500kg) and when family hols or camping then loaded with people and luggage, so a bit lighter.
I'm leaning towards springs so far.
I was talking with my mechanic this morning and 'he' suggested airbags, but I'm thinking of sus'ing out the local wheel/tyre shops (tyrepower, beuarepairs etc) and see if any of them work on suspension (for the springs).

If you are 90% loaded you really should go springs I have heavy duty and the odd time I have no weight in the back the ride is fine. Air bags are great buy IMO as an assist not to constantly carry 600kgs

It'll be 90% loaded (about 600Kg, total GVM 2500kg) and when family hols or camping then loaded with people and luggage, so a bit lighter.
I'm leaning towards springs so far.
I was talking with my mechanic this morning and 'he' suggested airbags, but I'm thinking of sus'ing out the local wheel/tyre shops (tyrepower, beuarepairs etc) and see if any of them work on suspension (for the springs).

As it is loaded all the time, diffidently springs rather than the airbags

There are lots of stories about utes that have broken the chassis due to overloading & using airbags to do all the work.

The best way is to fit new suspension all round & see how that performs on one trip.
Then you can consider airbags to assist the suspension if needed
But i doubt you will need airbags
Cheers

I just got a new D40 and ARB fitted a canopy and a set of Outback drawers. These alone made the arse sag to around an inch lower and the ride is terrible. It's quite disapointing really.

I have been told by a few local shops airbags would solve all my problems. I think I'm going to replace the springs though.

Zordo, what would be the supply only price for your full D40 2" kit?

Thanks for the input guys - pretty much confirming what I was thinking and what I hoped you'd say.
"Zordo"? - is there a guy on here who supplies this stuff?
Don't know where you are Zordo, but I doubt it's where I live - would you supply my mechanic, I'll be asking my mech to quote me on the job (it's got to be done but I don't want any bad surprises)?

Thanks for the input guys - pretty much confirming what I was thinking and what I hoped you'd say.
"Zordo"? - is there a guy on here who supplies this stuff?
Don't know where you are Zordo, but I doubt it's where I live - would you supply my mechanic, I'll be asking my mech to quote me on the job (it's got to be done but I don't want any bad surprises)?

Check out this link on Ebay. eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d.

I have a 2" lift kit which was simple to install and has effectively and cheaper lifted my D40 to a nice height whilst maintaining a nice ride. I tow heavy loads of firewood and also load the back up with about 700kg at the same time. This kit in combination with an airbag kit from 'Airbag Man' (also ebay), i now have the perfect towing and loaded truck. And when there's no load, air out and the perfect ride.:cheers!:

Latest posts

Back