Outback Ideas Recovery points

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubamurph

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just got a set of D40 Outback Ideas recovery points off ebay.
When fitting I found that on taking out the old bolts I damaged the
threads on 2 of the bolts (1 each side). :suicide2:

Replaced the bolts and 1 side (passenger) is all good and torqued up
nicely. The other side has 1 good bolt and 1 that won't tighten properly.
Bolt is new but the nut has thread damage. These nuts are welded inside
the frame. :banghead:

Anyone know how to replace this nut or repair the thread on it?

Apart from that the recovery points were a straight bolt on with no issues.
I have the TJM bull bar and bash plates. No issues there.

Regards Murph

Last edited:
Had mine fitted for a couple of months now and still looking pretty.......haven't had to use them in anger yet.

Attachments

• IMG_3978.jpg
    IMG_3978.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_3979.jpg
    IMG_3979.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_3980.jpg
    IMG_3980.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 381
scottybobcat said:
You will have to hellicoil it mate or run a tap through it

What's a hellicoil mate?

Will see if any of the guys in work have a 12mm x 1.25 tap I can borrow.

Cheers Murph

bbryant85 said:
Does anyone know what the recovery points are rated to? I cant seem to find any W.L.L or S.W.L on my new ones.

Brett

No idea mate. Mine had no SWL information on them either.

Yeah mate. I wouldn't use anything but high tensile.

Got a tap and cleaned up the threads on one of the nuts but other is too badly damaged!
Will have to get a helicoil kit and rethread the nut.

At least I have one fully installed recovery point now :)

Murph

So there I was fitting my new outback ideas recovery points when 1 of the welded nuts on the drivers side broke off.
So, is there any way that I can access that rogue nut to hold it in place so I can finish the install.

I started taking off the Nissan winch bar but realised that the bracket on the end of the chassis rail was not loosening, so I aborted that mission until more info is available.

On another point, Outback Ideas recovery points are NATA certified (apparenty, according to my local Aussie Ripoff Brothers franchise who couldn't supply me with a certificate), however my friendly TJM guy rang the supplier and the consensus was that the point is only as strong as the method of attachment and therefore no SWL is available.

Yeah its not gonna be the recovery point that fails (its 10mm thick!). Its gonna rip from the chassis first. One day i'll look at reforcing the chassis wall it bolts through.

:victory:2nd recovery point now installed.
Scrounged a nut from work, tacked a length of TIG wire to it and fed it through the chassis over the hole and bolted it up.:victory:

Hey i was just reading this post and i noticed that this is the exact same issue i had with mine. Same tjm bar. Same recovary points. And one side is sweet and the other has a good bolt and a dodgy one. I reakon the boys at tjm did a dodgy job. Im not sure but its pissed me off.

Must be a factory design issue with the nut misaligned slightly... mine also has 3 of the 4 bolted up smoothly without dramas, but the front passenger side one is threaded. Gonna have to get a heli coil onto it.

Red Dog, I'd be keen to know which hole you fed another nut through to put on top of the existing nut that is welded in place...

Latest posts

Back