Metal Cut Off Saws

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyNav09

Reaction score
Hey all, as the title describes I'm in the market for a metal cut saw. Don't wanna spend an arm and a leg for it but I'm wanting somethin that will last. I've looked at eBay ones for around the $139+200 mark and specs are almost the same. Also looking at the tradetools direct branded one but it is only 2000watt and 2800rpm where as others are 2000-2200watt and doing 3600-4000rpm. Is speed really relevant. All I want to cut is tube and box section maybe some bar for bars and home stuff.

Any help would be nice

Cheers
Rusty

Speed is only relevant depending on what you need to cut. We've got a Ryobi, can't remember the specs it's about 6 years old and hasn't missed a beat. We did buy a cheaper one when Total Tools first opened near us and took it back within 4 hours because it broke, got it replaced, took the replacement back 2 days later because it was useless at cutting C channel and 90mm boxing which was what we were using. Personally I've avoid cheap if you want it to last and plan on using it for anything other than really small jobs.

Hi Rusty I bought a GMC a couple of years ago and while the motor and disks were very good I find the construction of the hinge a bit flimsy and if I cut with just a little too much pressure the the disk veers and and an uneven cut is produced. I just do bits and pieces so its not really a problem but if I were to buy one again I would probably spend a bit more and get a good solid machine.

I'm prob only gonna use it for for small stuff like tube for rear bar and box section etc. The tradetools one looks solid up close its just the 2600rpm bit I'm worried about. I've seen the ryobi ones at Bunnings for around $190 I think. Again the ryobi does 3800rpm or somethin

i got a cheap one from ebay or supercrap and its going strong..its a few years old now and no probs.
i even cut 10mm thick UC channel and no worries..

A slower saw still will cut 6 inch think steel, it's just not going to be as quick as cutting 3 inch steel but if you don't work it too hard and it's made from decent parts it will still do it. If you want it too work less and not struggle with larger bits you need to go for faster and better quality.

Rustynav, I had plenty of experience with dropsaws and would strongly recommend staying away from the cheaper brands as they just dont last with the work they have to perform.Cutting tube and angle requires a saw with a bit of grunt and have found the Hitachi the most capable of doing the job. I have had a Makita for 10 years and have not had a problem with it at all. For the sake of 100 bucks more than the cheapies you will get something that will last forever at home. The ones I have described have copped a hammering for 5 years or so on building sites and still going strong. Stay away from Dewalt dropsaws as they are expensive and not as good as Hitachi or Makita.

i bought a ryobi from bunnings years ago and keeps on going, can't remember how much it was but wasn't expensive

I'm a tradie

And use one every day. I started with a gmc 100 dollar job. It lasted 2 hrs.. Bushes burnt out. Bought replacements and they lasted three hours...

Then when bunnings wouldn't replace it because it was trade use not home use. ( don't get me started)

I bit the bullet and bought a Hitachi..

The thing was 300 dollars and in the last 4 years has not missed a beat. It used to cut 12 and 16 mm reo bar gets bashed and knocked about in a trailer and even seen its fair share of rain soaked days.
\\

Only prblem is when the guys leave the cord running past the back where the sparks come out and melted the lead...

We also had a more expensive makita and it shat itself very quickly

i bought a supercrap one for about 150-200 from memory about 2 years ago. Use it to cut anything from 2mm wall tube to 10mm plate. It gets abused. Hasnt missed a beat since i got it. Came with spare brushes that i havent needed so far. Cant complain.