D40 2012 stereo AF mode deselect fix

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DundeeSun

Reaction score
As per the title the stock stereo in my ST-X (also in the rest of the range now I think, and first supplied in the ST-X 550 a few years ago) has an incredibly annoying 'AF' mode.

What happens is in areas of patchy reception (like in the area I live in near Toowoomba) the FM radio hunts for a better signal of the station which is playing. While great in theory, it jumps to a completely different station all the time for some reason!

When the reception is bad the end result is that the radio jumps for a second or two every once in a while (sometimes often) to a different station.

The 'AF' mode is mentioned in the owners handbook, but no info is given how to deselect it on the non-nav systems.

I figured I would put the fix up on here, as I searched long and hard to find it! The end answer; I called the local dealer in Toowoomba who helped which just seemed too easy

Press and hold 'setup' and jiggle the 'tune' knob left and right. This brings up a hidden menu and from there you can deselect the AF mode. This way the station you are on may deteriorate in quality a little, but the radio wont hunt for a new station and drive you crazy by chopping stations automatically.

Hope it helps!

WINNER!!
YOU ARE A LEGEND!!! man that has been giving me the shits and i thought it was just a dud system in my car i never thought it was MEANT to be doing it and that there would be a way of turning it off.
I have my car booked in for a service and was going to hit them up for a new radio haha.

Thanks again for the tip!! its the best tip i have heard on here for months,

WINNER!!

No worries mate. It was on for 20 000k in my last ST-X, and drove me mad. Same, I asked the dealer (they didn't know the fix then) and was considering asking for a new radio.

Picked up my new ST-X and AF mode was not present...life was good. Then I put a brake controller in today (disconnected battery) and reset the radio to PIN. AF came back on, and I whinged to the dealer. The pre-delivery guys knew the answer though..happy days.

I am pleased it helps..the power of forums :)

That makes sense, now that you have said that it started doing it in mine after i hooked up the UHF and dual battery system.
so i take it that if ever the battery is disconnected in the future i will have to disable the AF mode again.

Love your work!! haha i will be fixing it before i leave the driveway in the morning

god you all are blondes......

I guess if you don't know about that menu it would be hard to find...

every stereo(modern) has the tuning mode

being an audiophile, I always jump into a car and realise that the sound needs to be tuned properly

being an audiophile, I always jump into a car and realise that the sound needs to be tuned properly

When you say "tuned properly" Are you talking about adjusting the bass, treble ect or some else??
I never new there was a secret menu hidden in any stereo, prob because I really don't give a shit as long as it stays on the station I select

Nice troll chief.

The menu I posted about has no sound settings what-soever in there, just AF, region, diagnostic mode, radio tuning info and LCD contrast setting.

The menu I discussed is not in the manual, nor is the method to deselect AF mode.

So the bit where you are implying we are numpties is really invalidated by your lack of knowledge of this device ;)

Last edited:
Nice troll chief.

For your info the menu I posted about has no sound settings what-soever in there, just AF, region, diagnostic mode, radio tuning info and LCD contrast setting.

The menu I discussed is not in the manual, nor is the method to deselect AF mode.

So the bit where you are implying we are numpties is really invalidated by your lack of knowledge of this device.

well said mate,
I thought i was missing even more menu options haha!! but i do think he didnt read the thread very well and was talking about the normal set up menu, so i guess he is the blonde after all :rofl2:

As per the title the stock stereo in my ST-X (also in the rest of the range now I think, and first supplied in the ST-X 550 a few years ago) has an incredibly annoying 'AF' mode.

What happens is in areas of patchy reception (like in the area I live in near Toowoomba) the FM radio hunts for a better signal of the station which is playing. While great in theory, it jumps to a completely different station all the time for some reason!

When the reception is bad the end result is that the radio jumps for a second or two every once in a while (sometimes often) to a different station.

The 'AF' mode is mentioned in the owners handbook, but no info is given how to deselect it on the non-nav systems.

I figured I would put the fix up on here, as I searched long and hard to find it! The end answer; I called the local dealer in Toowoomba who helped which just seemed too easy

Press and hold 'setup' and jiggle the 'tune' knob left and right. This brings up a hidden menu and from there you can deselect the AF mode. This way the station you are on may deteriorate in quality a little, but the radio wont hunt for a new station and drive you crazy by chopping stations automatically.

Hope it helps!

Thanks Mate, The Missus will be happy.

From memory your head unit is different to the ST but im not 100% certain, did you try the method on the first page as shown below,

Latest posts

Back