Go Back   The Navara Forum > D23 (NP300) > D23 General Chat

After 2yrs my thoughts
Old 27-02-2018, 07:13 AM

Default After 2yrs my thoughts

MY15 NP300 STX things that still shit me, no outside temp display, steering wheel, sun reflection on chrome on t bar, warning chimes, cant lock doors if not in park, having to press agree every time with sat nav, seat heaters turn off when on, but most of all the engine sounds awful, is weak, cant tow for shit, and the auto gearbox is horribly programmed and very frustrating to live with. I will never get anything less than a 3 litre v6 in future as i just bought a V6 diesel Grand Cherokee and OMG there is no comparison so much torque. Maybe the upcoming X series Mercedes with V6 will cure all the negative things and keep the good things the NP300 has, such as sunroof rear opening window and coil springs (good when sorted).
Sponsored Links

Old 27-02-2018, 07:36 AM

Garage

Didn't you take one for a test drive first. Most of your issues you would have noticed before you bought it?
I know a few people that own them, and their only complaints have been the soft rear end!

Old 27-02-2018, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

a mate has the same model stx and he says its excellent in both driving and power. he just spent another 5k plus on aftermarket big wheels and 6 inch raised suspension for off road use., looks very nice i must say.

Old 28-02-2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcs View Post
Didn't you take one for a test drive first. Most of your issues you would have noticed before you bought it?
I know a few people that own them, and their only complaints have been the soft rear end!
A test drive isnt enough, you got to live with it,

Old 28-02-2018, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonney View Post
a mate has the same model stx and he says its excellent in both driving and power. he just spent another 5k plus on aftermarket big wheels and 6 inch raised suspension for off road use., looks very nice i must say.
Slowing down to 60kph up a hill in a 110 zone while towing a caravan or boat isn't my cup of tea, the Grand Cherokee can do it at 110kph if I wanted it to.

Old 28-02-2018, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Garage

couple of things to keep in mind.
a lot of the suv have far more powerful engines than the utes. even when its the same engine, the utes are always detuned. likewise when you compare car engines to suv, suv's are always detuned. the heavier the vehicle the lower the power the engine is.

the other thing is bigger engine, bigger drive train all means more weight, need stronger parts which means everything gets bigger. you might as well go buy a yank tank.
make the navara more powerful and built to handle it, you end up with a nissan titan.

Old 28-02-2018, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

sounds like a turbo setting issue to me. i towed a car on a car tralier for over 100 klms up and down slight hills ect all with my 2.5 litre d-22. the np,s would have alot more power than a d-22.

Old 28-02-2018, 08:07 PM

I am a bit perplexed as well. I tow a 2.5 tonne van quite often and have no issues with power, in fact it surprises me how well it handles the hills. I've only blocked the EGR, I have not felt the need for a tune. I still get good economy over long distances, around 12.3 or so with well over 4,000lkm on our last trip. The best bit, I don't have to worry about it breaking down like a Jeep hahaha.

Old 28-02-2018, 11:33 PM

Garage

Can't compare a Jeep with a Navara when looking for a tow vehicle. There's a 30kw advantage to the Jeep on paper before you even think about a test drive. For what they are, and what they have under the bonnet, everyone i know that has one is happy with it's performance!

Old 01-03-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brebel View Post
Slowing down to 60kph up a hill in a 110 zone while towing a caravan or boat isn't my cup of tea, the Grand Cherokee can do it at 110kph if I wanted it to.
Mate, not quite sure what your complaint is? I have D22 that can & does tow a caravan uphill at 110kmh in a 110kmh zone, no dramas. A D23 driven properly would do it much easier.

Jeep GC?? No thanks, I go remote! I want to get home safely!