Front Door Hinge Problem

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tappet

Reaction score
Have a bit of problem on my D40 King Cab. Found the front door hinge pin, only on the passenger side is badly worn. With little shards of metal protruding from where the pin goes thru the supportive part of the hinge. The pin must be made of chalk. This has caused the door to drop and rattle.

Anyone seen this problem before? An easy fix doesn't look easy. I suppose I could remove the door and replace pin. Probably even more difficult than replacing the whole hinge itself.

Just amazes me in a vehicle that has relatively low K's and it's the door that has much less use than the drivers door.

Any thoughts?

My first thought - if it's the pin itself - is to either remove the driver's one and measure it or get the spec from the passenger one if you can, then make it yourself from a stronger material. I have a metal lathe and would gladly turn one up for you.

Have I seen/heard of it before? Never. But then my own car has developed some rattles and I've never even considered looking at the hinge pins. Will be doing that tomorrow!

Thanks Tony and thanks for your kind offer of machining up a pin for me. What looks difficult is actually removing the pin. So I'll see if I can replace the whole hinge in situ with one from a wrecker. Just a matter of somehow supporting the door whilst changing the bottom hinge out. Top one appears to be ok.

As for the rattle it sounded like it was coming from the glove box area.

With the car on jack stands (to limit its movement), a grooved piece of timber under the door atop a hydraulic jack should give the open door the support it needs to stay steady while you remove the hinge.

I'll check my hinges soon. Might answer the funny rattle we're experiencing, although the wife thinks it's related to the window because if we lower the window by a couple of mm (not opening it, just bringing the glass down a mm or so from fully closed) the rattle disappears.

Latest posts

Back