Go Back   The Navara Forum > D40 > D40 Drive Train

Old 29-06-2017, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcs View Post
thanks John, i'll call them tomorrow!
Hope you get if sorted Eric, I can see your frustration. The Bt 50/Ranger is now having problems towing over 2 tonne overheating and hunting for gears. Checking the tcm needs special equipment. Best to find a hill and show the mechanics how the problem eventuates under load. They normally pussyfoot around and find nothing.

Old 29-06-2017, 08:41 AM

Garage

[QUOTE=Old.Tony;380794]There's an easy way to tell where the vibration is coming from.

4) Slow to 65km/h (my car engages the TCC at 69km/h) in 5th and re-accelerate to 100km/h. Vibration? If so, it's definitely the torque converter.

this is the point that applies to me
using this method, i can get it to shudder at around 90kph every time but applying the right amount of throttle to load it up. normal driving, i can get around this, but with steeper gradients amd a load behind the car, it's almost unavoidable, unless i back right off!

Old 29-06-2017, 08:44 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy john View Post
Hope you get if sorted Eric, I can see your frustration. The Bt 50/Ranger is now having problems towing over 2 tonne overheating and hunting for gears. Checking the tcm needs special equipment. Best to find a hill and show the mechanics how the problem eventuates under load. They normally pussyfoot around and find nothing.
170k and 7 yrs, i'm finally getting too old and cranky, so it finally needs to be sorted! :-)

Old 30-06-2017, 04:59 AM

My Mood:
Send a message via ICQ to Black_Outlaw Send a message via Skype™ to Black_Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron31 View Post
Probably unrelated (and unhelpful - sorry Eric) - if I hoof it off the line, mine will grumble at me (as in it makes a different, low rumble noise) which you can feel thru the truck and it *feels* like its slipping. Only does it from a standing start when in a hurry. Doesn't do it in 4LO. Beyond that it doesn't bother me.
I know this exact noise. It's like the engine is being torque reduced and then slowly fed back in.

I tried everything to get rid of it, fresh fluid, more boost, less boost - but it's just there. Must be a "Nissan" thing :)

Old 02-07-2017, 01:43 PM

Glad its not just me!
I'd hate to think what it would (try and) do with 2.5T in tow!

Old 02-07-2017, 09:08 PM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

If it's the torque converter (used to be a common thing in D40 autos but Nissan replaced the TCs under warranty) then even with a heavy load on it won't do much more than its doing now.

Nissan were supposed to replace the TCs. I do not know if there was a recall for them. What wouldn't hurt is making a friend of the service manager at a Nissan dealer and asking them if Nissan would come to the party and replace the TC since it was a known problem and your car was "overlooked". It's worth a try!

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!

"Money can't buy happiness, but it does make misery a lot easier to deal with."

Old 02-07-2017, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member

My Mood:

The clutch in the torque converter can develop hot spots which causes the shudder, try adding a tube of this http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-230/Instant+Shudder+Fixx if that fails you will need a new T.C.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:54 AM

I have a similar problem in my auto gearbox - I had to get anew one in because the old one crapped itself towing due to the crappy design flaw.

Anyway the new auto box would shudder between 80 - 100 kph and I took it back to Nissan (Melville Nissan in WA) who said it's normal and I have to put up with it, from memory they said it is just the torque converter.

Despite trying to argue with them that it shouldn't be normal they don't care and I just don't have the money to fix. Now I just turn off overdrive completely and it stops.

Once the the D40 dies I am never going to own another Nissan again due to their customer service!!

Karl

Fix for shudder
Old 28-02-2019, 12:55 PM

Default Fix for shudder

Hi, sorry for digging up an old thread, but I have a customers Navara at my workshop doing an identical shudder to yours. So far, Iím on transmission number 2 fitted to it, and no difference. I swear it is the lock up in the converter, but itís obviouslt not, as 3 transmissions wonít have exactly the same fault. Any help appreciated please.

Old 28-02-2019, 08:23 PM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

I wouldn't worry about an old thread, that's what they're for.

My own gearbox has done this now, but it's inside the gearbox. Had the torque converter reconditioned, valve body replaced, it's greatly improved. Apparently there was a small amount of water in my gearbox, which the guys are hoping hasn't done a lot of damage (they've cleaned up everything and put a new valve body in).

If you've changed boxes, there's no chance it could be the physical parts of the gearbox. TCMs, however, are coded to vehicle VINs (to reduce theft) and you are supposed to reprogram the TCM when installing a new valve body or gearbox (Nissan do this reprogramming task) and only then does the gearbox begin to behave normally (this is what my auto box mechanic told me, and what two separate Nissan service department heads told me).

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!

"Money can't buy happiness, but it does make misery a lot easier to deal with."