2013 nav Boost

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanders

Reaction score
This topic has been covered somewhat but there was not a hell of a lot of info... my NAV runs stock 23 psi boost checked with mechanical bst gauge and scan gauge. I installed a turbosmart manual boost controller before boost sensor (left side) of intercooler facing the front. I have tweaked it up to 26 psi and now it runs much better and not as hot. I'm waiting for steinbeaur to send my module back and I will turn up the fuel. Has Anyone run more boost on there stock turbo with better results? And has any recorded max boost setting before it starts to run in the danger zone

Holy cow, if that's a d22 (I'm assuming it is having fitted a manual boost controller) that's very high for stock. Normally they run around 16-17psi... I have a boost controller on my 2010 and haven't turned it up, but just fitting it boost raised to about 18-19psi at the turbo.

They are a ball bearing turbo on the d22s so should be able to get fairly decent boost out of them before they get out of their efficiency range. Most people have had best power at around 21psi. The problem is the factory intercooler, because it has crimped ends, it leaks a fair bit of boost when working hard. I believe there are places doing welded end intercoolers, so they would be a lot more efficient than the stock one....

Hey mate thanks for the reply, no it's a d40 and they run stock 23psi. I'm getting my workshop to fit a new intercooler. I can get a kit made through our workshop for about $350

Hmmm... next question, what model d40 have you got? Rx by any chance? I believe they run a wastegate turbo, whereas st and st-x run a variable vane turbo, which you can't fit a manual boost controller to, as it's controlled by the ecu...

I have an 2013 St with variable vane turbo. Adjusting boost is pretty easy all you need to do is trick the sensor (located on left side of intercooler) to read less pressure by means of manual boost controller and up the boost will go. You just need to make sure you have an mechanical boost gauge as the ecu will think it's getting 23psi max

Oh right... fair enough, well, being a d40 it only has a bish bearing turbo, so I wouldn't go too hard on it. From memory the zd30 vvt unit on the patrols was ball bearing, but not sure if they bolt straight on...

On a older d40 you can crank the boost up and get close to 30psi BUT it wont last long..the safe spot was said to be the 25-26 mark...altho ive cooked a factory turbs at that point.without extra fuel you wont feel to much gain..but with extra fuel and boost it will perk up a bit and run quite clean.just be prepaired to shell out for a new turbo someday if you crank it up.

You would think 3psi more shouldn't harm it to much. Camo I'm not sure I'll have to find out

You will probs get another 50tho out of it.thats where mine made it too...might get more too.its a bit like ...how long is this peice of string.

Haha I can't blame you, that's ok I think you told me a while back you got a forefront industy hi flo turbo??

Mabee 10-15 tho...boost is now set by my chipit chip so about the 26ish mark.same goes for the forefront one tho..jamie says it should be set to 21ish.anything over and your on ya own.it will make 30 if you let it.with me im finding i cant fully wind it up as my exhaust temps are a bit scarey right now..so mine is normally running low 20s on a day to day drive

Shouldn't exhaust temps drop the more boost you run? I thought they rise when you add too much fuel

Its a fine balence when the ambient air temps are around 30s..but yes the more boost the better the temps are, but to get that boost you need more right foot and with that foot comes more fuel...its just a visous circle when its tuned for winter i dont want to wind the fuel back that much

So you can adjust boost with your chip? Have you also got a bigger cooler? It seems like every time you upgrade something on the NAV it affects another constantly upgrading to keep up lol

Too right..one thing always leads to the other..standard cooler still.i cant really fault it for now...it holds pressure and i feel it does a good job of cooling as i can measure the pre and post cooler temps.at full noise it shaves off well over 100°c from the intake temps..brings it back to around 10-25°c (depending on throttle)above ambient temps.but its on the list to be replaced when the new turbo goes on..the chipit chip tweaks the map sensor output a little so the ecu will let the turbo go up to 26psi.works quite well.and when the chip is off your back to standard boost and rail pressure.

Tricking the ECU to run more boost will result in a slightly leaner mix. = Lower EGT

The ECU still thinks its running the standard boost and fuels accordingly for that level of boost but but in reality your pushing in more air. There is a slight trade off, the boost air temp goes up with that which of course = higher EGT's.

A few more pound is prolly ok. Anymore and if your giving it plenty of stick everywhere expect and shorter engine and or turbo life.

You Play- You'll pay.

but don't forget I'm the party pooper :)

Latest posts

Back