D40 motor replacement

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthonyh

Reaction score
Hi guys I have sourced a second hand d40 motor to replace mine in an 08 navara stx auto due to snapping a timing chain. I am wondering if anyone can tell me if a 07 navara manual will definately fit up ok. Is there any thing that can catch me out after I have this engine freighted from Qld eg Spain or Thai build. How much could you expect to pay a mechanic to change them over or could it be a job a couple of handy fellas could tackle. Heard there are some really hard bolts to get at? Any help appreciated
Tony

FTG Nissan run adds on fleebay for crate engines 8.5 k from memory , but they do advertise them as either Thai or Spanish , so there must be a difference

For sure there's a difference now. From 2010 the Spanish 4cyl engines were 140kW and the Thais were 126kW. The heads are different (including valve arrangement if memory serves) and the 140kW engine doesn't make as much soot.

For sure there's a difference now. From 2010 the Spanish 4cyl engines were 140kW and the Thais were 126kW. The heads are different (including valve arrangement if memory serves) and the 140kW engine doesn't make as much soot.

eats turbos though , lol a mate has a 2012 pathfinder and is on his 3rd turbo

yeah me too !! i think Nissan and other companies should try to educate first time diesel owners a lil more then they do with the salesman blurb

One of the members here (Bluenavara - check his build thread here) runs about 36psi. Develops over 300hp too. Not the standard turbo, but at least you know the intake manifold will handle it.

Thanks guys I have found out both the motors are Spanish so that should be fine. Just wanting to know if there will be any probs about using a manual motor to replace the auto model especially relating to the auto having Dpf and manual without.

you should be right, anything different on the manual to auto configuration you should be able to use your auto parts in place of the manual. as far as DPF goes, you would unbolt your engine from the exhaust manifold or behind the turbo and not need the one off the new engine but i imagine everything is the same with the exception of the computer and maybe a sensor or two

Thanks heaps guys just had another thought about whether or not the ecu will be able to read the injectors in the replacement motor and throw a code or if I am better to use my old injectors in the new motor if they are ok?
Thanks

Where the bell housing bolts to the engine may be different between autos and manuals but don't know for sure.

you'd think it would be the same, would just make building each motor more costly and time consuming.

Thanks tony, the auto vehicle will be keeping its Dpf it is just getting a replacement motor that has come from a manual so no sensors to change just not to sure about reading the injectors now and the best way around it. I am fairly sure all the bell housing bolts would be the same.

There's a procedure for registering new injectors into the ECU using a Consult device, the service manual does describe it. It has to be available at non-Nissan mechanic workshops, you might have to take it in to get that done. Hopefully you won't have to pull the injectors, because the service manual says that you need to replace a bunch of stuff if you do.

Service manual says you need to program the "injector adjustment value" to the ECM when you change injectors. Compare the numbers when you have the old engine out, and that should tell you whether or not you will need to swap them over.

Thanks guys I gave heard the ECM needs the new codes but I have also heard this is Nissan bs and the computer will relearn by itself? It also sounds like some guys have got away with just replacing the seats and washers with the injector replacement?

Latest posts

Back