Used toilet paper in outback stops!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinE

Reaction score
Been traveling outback for more than 40 years (yes, I'm old lol!) & prior to about 2004, I never saw this. Now its EVERYWHERE! Just returned home from yet another trip up to the Flinders Ranges & was VERY disappointed to see used toilet paper blowing in the wind in some quite hard to get to places. I don't think that its backpackers. They generally don't go to the hard to get to spots. Either way, its NOT NICE!

Similar discussion had not long ago on WikiCamps too. Absolute ferals doing it, sometimes it's the doorslammers and other times it's the two young guys with one blanket, 2 rolls of toilet paper and 18 slabs of beer heading for the Simpson Desert that are the main culprits.

It's not even just the outback. There's a small rest area on the Putty Road (here) that they had to put a fence around because people were ducking out of site and taking a dump. The smell in the rest area was vile.

on a good note atleast the dunny paper will break down over time and vanish back into the earth. lets hope they never make toilet paper out of plastic. lol

I'm camped in Stanthorpe at the moment, the place is crawling with backpackers. Even though there is clean amenities the filthy buggers take a crap wherever they please and the soiled paper is everywhere. Not only that but used condoms are everywhere, they have a shag behind a tree ect. Filthy and inconsiderate behaviour, most folk are very clean but I've always found backpackers to not give a stuff about what they leave behind.

John, they're being considerate towards their other backpackers by leaving snacks behind. Wrapped in little rubber packages for easy collection too. I would have thought that in this enlightened time of humanity that they wouldn't have to pass snacks around anonymously, they could just hand it directly to their mates and watch them chug it down happily!

Lol Tony, the park manager where I am has to guard the showers after dark. The backpackers walk in off the street and wait at the door asking to be let in. They stole food from the camp kitchen the other night, and walk around smoking weed. Apparently the cops are in the park evicting them constantly.

Lol Tony, the park manager where I am has to guard the showers after dark. The backpackers walk in off the street and wait at the door asking to be let in. They stole food from the camp kitchen the other night, and walk around smoking weed. Apparently the cops are in the park evicting them constantly.

Ahh you are all talking SHIT!

holy mosus what a caper here it sit without any paper, the backpackers are coming i must not linger so F*** it all i,ll use my finger.

Been traveling outback for more than 40 years (yes, I'm old lol!) & prior to about 2004, I never saw this. Now its EVERYWHERE! Just returned home from yet another trip up to the Flinders Ranges & was VERY disappointed to see used toilet paper blowing in the wind in some quite hard to get to places. I don't think that its backpackers. They generally don't go to the hard to get to spots. Either way, its NOT NICE!

we have a problem over here. primarily caused by campers whose vehicle do not have toilets. so they go where ever. had one tourist caught on camera who just shat in gutter.
in some places its the sheer volume of it.
others it just lazy.
went into the forestry for work, right in the middle of the track is someones crap and paper. to lazy to walk 5 steps and do it under the trees.
sometimes its tourists that have different standards. i know someone who came across a lady swatting and peeing outside of the toilet block, in full public view. they don't see it as "dirty".

don't mind them parking up, but had one parked across the gates blocking the access. i spotted a tent pitched in the middle of the track one day. would have been interesting driving through there at night.
brain dead and lazy.

Saw it at Ross River last year, after dark they sneak in for a shower. Saw middle aged Aussies do the same at Tenant Ck, but the manager caught them.

A quick note about Backpackers, I have a long cable I lock gas bottles chairs ect when we go out for the day. Sadly on the last day at Stanthorpe we were robbed of tea towels, table cloth and a few other things. Not much money to replace just the principal of the matter. Perhaps they ran out of toilet paper???.

I have been camping quite often over the last 18 months. The weekend was at Merringtons - just north of Walhalla. OK spot.

One thing which baffles me profoundly. What possesses a person/people to drive hours into the middle of no-where with the idea of 'getting away from it all' only to setup camp at a large, busy site on a long weekend only to serenade the entire site with loud music (usually a pretty standard playlist) until the wee hours - as if everyone on the site wants to hear it. As well as that, they behave like morons usually pissed off their nut, leaving their 'crap' everywhere - all at the expense of the rest of the (quiet) users of the site.

Then, if you ask them to put a lid on it not only are you risking harm (realistically) or at the least become the 'prick' in the process.

I have had it at Merringtons on the weekend, Woods point, Big river, Bennies etc etc. It has become a key reason for me to avoid camp sites - unless its an off weekend and no one else is there.

I just dont get it. And when I think way back, I think its getting worse.

Latest posts

Back