Go Back   The Navara Forum > General Discussions > Camping Gear

Instant tent or Normal Tent?
Old 28-11-2019, 03:49 PM

Default Instant tent or Normal Tent?

What would be the best choice camping? Some websites have said that an instant tent is the best option, but others saying the normal one. I'm totally confused, do you have any idea about both?
thanks in advance
Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2019, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njorden View Post
What would be the best choice camping? Some websites have said that an instant tent is the best option, but others saying the normal one. I'm totally confused, do you have any idea about both?
thanks in advance
That depends what you want, where you're going and how many people etc. I really like the instant tents (have a couple), and have used them quite a lot but have noticed the quality doesn't seems as good as the better standard tents (a bit flimsy) and they are limited by their design. Also dearer, for what you get.

Have a good look before you buy an instant tent also as due to the round shape at the ends, a lot of them aren't really long enough for a couple of adults (some not long enough for one unless a midget lol).

For convenience and ease of use though, you can't beat 'em. If you're going somewhere likely to be wet you'll need a fly and so on anyway so a regular tent will probably be as easy.

Some people love swags, but I hate them. No easier than a normal tent to set up, less room and probably take up more room to store amongst your gear.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:55 PM

It actually depends on your style of camping. If you move locations often or only use the tent for sleeping and nothing else, the instant tents are nice. But, if you set up a base camp and then live out of that for days at a time and spend time in it in poor weather or to read/eat/relax, I prefer regular tents. Look at this article- https://www.abc-of-rockclimbing.com/camping-tents/ from here you will a lot of this on camping tent.

Last edited by Prada; 05-12-2019 at 06:05 PM.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:43 AM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

I have a dome tent with a "vestibule" area that was great until a big wind destroyed one of the fibreglass stick sections and the inner seal came away from the fly. Whodathunk the wind could do so much damage.

I'm now looking for another tent, but I want one with two areas but packs small enough to fit in my motorcycle's trailer. I'm not in a rush - the next time I'll be away on the bike will probably be around March next year.

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!

"Money can't buy happiness, but it does make misery a lot easier to deal with."

Old 02-12-2019, 01:44 PM

My Mood:
Garage

By insta tent do you mean one of the Oztents? They are roomy, fast to set up but take up a lot of space and are heavy.