Go Back   The Navara Forum > D23 (NP300) > D23 General Chat

Old 20-03-2018, 09:43 AM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

The auto transmission has a pump inside that delivers oil through to all of the innards. No pump = no delivery but if the output shaft of the gearbox is turning, then some few innards are also turning but without oil being delivered. At 120km/h they'll be turning quite quickly, too, hopefully just 20 seconds didn't cause it any drama.

That's the reason why you can't tow an auto for extended periods, because even in neutral, some of the gearbox innards are moving but the oil pump isn't. Manual doesn't have that issue because by turning, the gears pick up the oil and throw it around.

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!

"Money can't buy happiness, but it does make misery a lot easier to deal with."
Sponsored Links

Old 27-03-2018, 11:03 AM

Thanks Old.Tony. I did a bit of youtube research on Torque Converters and auto box planetary gear systems, its quite fascinating how it all works. TC is Basically a turbine liquid coupling. My Ute is still at service centre, Nissan approved the replacement of the diff, they are still waiting for a part before it all goes in, so much mystery......what is this mysterious part, hopefully its a prop shaft that is balanced and perfectly in round! I can only assume they removed front drive shaft and did test drive with no improvement, detail is not very forthcoming :-( so I guess they are back at the diff being the problem a month later.

Old 16-04-2018, 04:48 AM

My Mood:

Been a while since I have posted on here. I had a trawl through this thread and reckon people are talking about the same issue I have with my D23.

Around the 100/110KMH mark mine intermittently develops a shake, I would not call it a vibration as I think that tends to confuse the issue with the likes of a tailshaft vibration that makes the car buzz. In my case at least it is like an poorly balanced wheel, had it balanced a couple of times with more or less no change to the car. When it gets going the tub gets a fair shake on, you can see it as mine has a canopy fitted and you can see the canopy shaking in the mirror.

I reckon it is suspension related, mainly a poor match with the 18" wheel and tyre package. When I test drove an ST I thought it was a nicer package on the road than the silly bloody 18" things on the ST-X, they just add cost, harshness and noise in the name of cosmetics. What I have found is that when mine is somewhat loaded the issue goes away. We had a week away on the school holidays and when we had the gear in the back (Couple of hundred kilos) it was as smooth as you could ask for, I drove it for hours at a time without an issue. Likewise when I tow my track car, not so much as a quiver.

I have played with tyre pressure quite a bit and it improves it a touch but to make it much better you have to lower them further than I like to go. I suspect better dampers would probably rein it in, I might have to see if I can extract some money from my lease fund (It has a silly positive balance from my last car) and throw a set of Bilsteins at it. The body control over long undulations I would put down as marginal at best anyway so a change would probably improve the car. Mine is a series 2 with apparently much better body control, I hate to think what the NP300 badged cars must have been like.

Old 16-04-2018, 08:16 PM

I did not have the issue with my series 2, till I changed recently to 285/60/18 all terrains. Then it started, which didn't really surprise me given the extra weight of the bigger all terrain tyre. Balancing did not fix it so I tried some SupaMax glass tyre balance beads. I put 6oz (half a bag) in each rear tyre. Problem solved. At $5 for the bag it was a cheap fix.