which tyres???

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justo

Reaction score
Hi guys after a bit of advice to which tyre is the best value for money. My main concern is road noise and longevity, after some research I have come up with the following 3 options. I have put the price there to help gauge which one has the best "value for money " for its price vs performance. Any help would be much appreciated.

265 70 17
Bridgestone D697 $295 a tyre
General Grabber at2 $275
Bfgoodrich KO2 $350

Cheers Justo

Hi guys after a bit of advice to which tyre is the best value for money. My main concern is road noise and longevity, after some research I have come up with the following 3 options. I have put the price there to help gauge which one has the best "value for money " for its price vs performance. Any help would be much appreciated.

265 70 17
Bridgestone D697 $295 a tyre
General Grabber at2 $275
Bfgoodrich KO2 $350

Cheers Justo
The 697 starts out as a very good tyre on road and in the wet, but after 30k despite wearing well and plenty of depth is very dangerous in the wet, it's noisy, picks up and discharges stones at your panels, is like slicks in any mud but excellent in sand. The General Grabber is regarded as a better tyre all round. I noted at the 2013 Muster the owner of the park had them on all his 4wd's. As for the k02 getting pricey but it's would be the pick if the budget allows.

Tyres are always an interesting subject, lots of different experiences result in lots of differing opinions.

I got 80,000km out of my last set of BFG ATs but this time went for Yokohama Geolanders ($250 each versus $350 each for the BFGs). The Yokos grip far better than the BFGs and the pitch of the road noise is much deeper but I don't think I'm going to get the same longevity.

Usually, longevity is related to hardness of the tyre compound (with equal driving styles). If you choose a softer compound you'll get better grip, but it won't last as long - and I think that's where I stand with the Yokos. I'll know in 50,000km time!

Last edited:
Grandtreks are becoming very popular with lots of van folk, a fellow I spoke to at Rockhampton had done 30k on them pulling 3t of van. He was very pleased with them, looking at the pattern I would say they would be great in the sand too.

The general grabber at2s look like a nice tyre and I have only head good reports about them. I will probs try them or the hankooks as my next tyre. Currently have yoko geolandars cos there was a buy 3 get 4 sale when I needed new tyres.

I made the mistake of calling the Yokos "Grandtreks" which is one of the popular tyres made by Dunlop for use on caravans. Decent sidewalls, reasonably tight tread pattern so it's just fair in mud, quite good on sand.

I have about 20'000km on my D697, size 275/65/17. Still plenty of tread left and I haven't noticed any decrease in wet weather grip, but with a few good months of winter left in Perth, time will tell. I do around 10'000km every 8-10 weeks.

When these are worn out, I'm very keen to get the BFG KO2, they rate really well and look to be a great improvement on the first version

I'm considering grabbers for my next tyres.
Herd good things from tyre shops about them but maybe they have a better mark up on them.
In saying that they are one of the top sellers in the us and for the price I recon you can't go wrong.
Check out the general grabber srl
http://www.generaltire.com.au/news/ID4

Last edited:
I'm considering grabbers for my next tyres.
Herd good things from tyre shops about them but maybe they have a better mark up on them.
In saying that they are one of the top sellers in the us and for the price I recon you can't go wrong.
Check out the general grabber srl
http://www.generaltire.com.au/news/ID4

They look awesome and seriously considered getting them but at $360 a tyre I could not justify them as I can get the Grabber AT2'S at $270
Cheers Justo

I have pressed the button on the Grabber SRL 's going on tomorrow as all my other choices were out of stock. I'll let everyone know how they go

Cheers Justo

interested in seeing what you think of them i leaning towards them as they don't make the mt in a 285/75 r16 but do in the srl.
cheers gav

So got the tyres fitted yesterday and my initial thoughts are I love these tyres, feels more like a 4be now and not so much a car and that is partially due more road noise and a little harsher ride (which i don't mind). Unfortunately driving home last night from suncorp some f#?k head in a hilux :homo:decided to side swipe the front end of my car and then blame me. :pissedoff:.
So apart from panel damage I will need a new front left tyre. Anyway I'll post a pic of the tyres tomorrow for who are interested

Cheers Justo

f#*ken hilux driver's:jackoff:
any one else noticed a lot of them drive like dick heads.
mind you if i paid that for a ute that gets shown up by other's (mainly D40's) i'd be a dick too.

Back