Old 09-06-2018, 04:06 PM

My Mood:
Garage

Lol.

Old 10-06-2018, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechmate View Post
Mate justify buying cheap chinese gear anyway you like
Obviously I don't need to justify buying anything. I was seeking advice on tyres from people who might have formed an opinion from using them. More so than based on politics and right wing ideology. I disagree somewhat with this opinion, particularly in the context of choosing tyres, is all. I'm more interested in whether they are any good. Japanese products were held back in a similar way at one stage, even after they became good quality.

Last edited by Horatius; 10-06-2018 at 02:31 AM.

Old 10-06-2018, 02:38 AM

I put a 2nd set of the Sailun's on my Ute when the time came, as I was very happy with the 1st set.

I got them at the same outlet as the 1st set & at the same price :) ($160 each, fitted)

He also had other Chinese tyres with the same A/T pattern, but a different brand on them that were about $20 cheaper each.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:51 AM

They look alright Kevin. Had a look at their website, they have an LT tyre designed for ice and snow that could make a reasonable AT tyre also. They must be alright as you're obviously happy with them, from what I have seen Chinese tyres have come a long way. Probably some rubbish still out there (but that's probably true of most brands) soon enough they will be genuine competitors with "brand" tyres.

I read that longtime Italian/American tyre brand Pirelli has recently been brought out by ChemChina. So like almost everything else, in the future it'll probably get more and more difficult to avoid Chinese tyres if you wanted to.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:37 AM

Hi Horatius, yes, I'm very happy with them

I know a retired guy that used to test Bridgestone 4x4 tyres for a quid, he was paid to literally try to destroy the tyres. He has been used as an expert witness re tires in court too. So he sort of knows tyres lol.

When I first told him that I'd bought Chinese tyres, he looked anything but impressed. But then we went & looked at them & he was impressed. He said something about how they have changed the way they make them, compared to how they used to make them. It was tech talk & above my head.