Go Back   The Navara Forum > D40 > D40 General Chat

Turbo Solenoid Valve / Connection of vanes
Old 28-03-2016, 09:04 PM

Default Turbo Solenoid Valve / Connection of vanes

HI ALL...
So I pulled out the Turbo Solenoid (D40 2007 Auto) this past long weekend, gave it a good spray with Contact Cleaner Inside and out... gave it a blowjob... (with the air compressor) put everything back together as it was... so I thought... ! Took it for a drive, no Boost or Turbo kicking in. Went back home switched the vanes around, now im geeting Boost but if push a bit harder it goes into Vaccum... I know!!
Connected the Vanes (x 3)incorrectly.
Hence the reason why Im here.
Can someone please explain which Vane coming from Where? Is supposed to go into the Solenoid... I have a new one to install next week and wanna get it right and not possibly damage it by connecting it wrong.
cheers in advance..

07 Navi 352k on the clock and going...and going...
Sponsored Links

Old 28-03-2016, 10:06 PM

This is how mine looks on 2013 ST

Left pipe intake, middle pipe goes to turbo (has a little green filter ?? in the pipe), right hand pipe goes to the engine / vacuum source.

Is this what you were after ?

Last edited by kernels; 31-03-2016 at 07:38 AM.

Old 29-03-2016, 07:27 AM

Thankx kernels..
I'll try that as soon as I get home this pm...
will get back to posting... If same as 2013(mine is 2007) I'm sure it will help others knowing its the same set up.!
Cheers

Old 29-03-2016, 02:00 PM

So... I've connected as 'kernels suggestion and which is the way I had connect, BUT.. jist to really make sure? I would like to hear from people with a 2007 D40 as in the pictures supplied.by.'kernels' from what I can see, it looks different mounting angle.
thankx.once again kermel and rest of people ...

Old 30-03-2016, 10:26 PM

This should help

Old 31-03-2016, 07:37 AM

Yep, that drawing appears to agree with what I've got. Although the picture is the other way round, connector is on the left when standing in front of the car and looking down at the solenoid.

Old 31-03-2016, 09:14 AM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

If the turbocharger isn't spinning at all (vanes closed) it actually presents a significant obstacle in the intake path and if the engine is revving, it will try to suck air through the turbo causing a vacuum in the air path.

Things to test:

1) Remove the hose from the top of the actuator and put a new piece on. Suck on the other end - does the actuator move? If it does, you might have a vac leak.

2) How are your brakes? If they're not performing as well as they could (this is rare) the vac leak could be inside the brake booster. Not good news.

3) Check all of the vac hoses. They should be very tight fits over the barbs/connectors. The hose shouldn't readily turn on the barb - if it can turn easily, it means the rubber has hardened and is probably leaking vacuum.

If the turbocharger is actually getting vacuum normally, it's possible that it's just not spinning very well. Same thing happened to me - the most mine would boost to was about 5-6psi if I pushed hard, but if I allowed the turbo to build up to it, it could boost normally. This was the bearings in the turbo failing - I've replaced my turbocharger with a Forefront Industries billet-cut unit and am now enjoying quicker spooling = less lag. It isn't much - and it doesn't develop any more boost than the stock unit - but it's nice that it comes on a little earlier.

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!

"Money can't buy happiness, but it does make misery a lot easier to deal with."

Old 03-04-2016, 02:08 AM

Ok... so I connected vanes according to "lookskyward1" and believe it or not is how I had them connected at first... problem being is that, when I take off at lights, acceleration is normalbut if want get infront or past another car and I squeese the pedal a bit more, it doesnt seem to respond unless I completely release the pedal and give it a fresh squeeze. Hence the reason I am changing solenoid this week. Ive replaced new SCV, new tubing (vanes).checked for leaks..all good. I have also pulled the accelerator pedal apart and given tha a good clean.. Purged 3 times.(liquid molly). Currently new Fuel Filter (nissan)...
if anyone has any further suggestions.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:33 AM

My Mood:
Send a message via ICQ to Black_Outlaw Send a message via Skype™ to Black_Outlaw

I've got a similar problem. I think it's boost spiking in mine and killing the boost, pedal off and on again see's boost return to normal.

Slowly put your foot on the pedal from take off, and feed in the power - and it's ok.

I've tried so many things (new solenoid, new SCV, new earth wiring, pump resets, clean intake, clean fuel system, new fuel filter, clean Intercooler, new boost lines, etc) i've given up and just accepted it as a quirk....

Only other thing to replace is the Pressure Sensor on the Outlet side Intercooler.. But at $300 i'm not keen.

Im actually thinking of putting a manual DAWES VALVE system in for more linear boost. If you've even put a scan guage on and watched it, it's all over the place!

Last edited by Black_Outlaw; 04-04-2016 at 03:43 AM.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:12 AM

We are on the same page BlackOutlaw..
ive done all those things as well and it is exactly what you explain ... gently put your foot down and progressively and no prbs, BUT if you need that sudden acceleration or tale off... you are NOT guaranteed to get it...
my next to do is gonna be the Pressure Sensor on the intercooler as you said..
$300 or so. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO TEST PREASSURE SENSOR TO SEE IFIT WORKS PROPERLY ????
cheers