Go Back   The Navara Forum > Tech Talk > Product Reviews

Glacio 60L Fridge / Freezer
Old 19-12-2013, 09:51 AM

My Mood:
Default Glacio 60L Fridge / Freezer

Bit the bullet and bought one of these bad boys off ebay as I don't have the funds to lash out on a waeco or an engel.

Also bought this battery & box as well as this solar setup. I have also attached this sucker to the side of the box and added individual 15amp fuses for each socket. Extra sockets never go astray.

All up it came in under 1k. I also have 150w "can holder type" inverter for the basics like phone charger, camera charger etc.

Will be testing this setup out over the christmas period around the shallow inlet / corner inlet areas to subject it to the kind of environments i plan to throw at it quite often.

I have it connected to the battery at the moment and in the 30 mins of running it has gone from 30 degrees down to 4. I had to check that it was actually running because the compressor is pretty quiet.

Will keep people updated as i run this setup through its paces.

Christian
2005 White STR Dual Cab: 2" ironman lift / 3" straight through exhaust / Racetech boost, water temp & EGT gauges / Scintex Snorkel / sunyee 24" 120w light bar, 32w light bar, 15w work lights & 7" 75W driving lights / GME TX3100 UHF / 2x2.5m ebay awning / Glacio 60L Fridge freezer / 100AH Deep Cycle Battery / Projecta 100A VSR / Baumr-AG BM-x20i Generator`
Sponsored Links

Old 19-12-2013, 10:19 AM

My Mood:
Garage

Will be interested in how it performs mate, please let us know

Cheers Robski

Old 20-12-2013, 09:06 AM

My Mood:

Currently running on 240v and funnily enough it seems to take longer to drop in temperature. Started at the same temperature (30 degrees) and took about 7-10 mins longer to get down to 5 degrees.

Panels arrived today, so that is everything. Well almost everything. I ordered one of these bad boys today to see the output of the panels and to track how much they are putting out during the day / time connected.

Eventually what i may do is connect an analogue zero centered ammeter gauge to monitor everything as its running / charging. Essentially this should give me a quick and easy read out to see if the battery is in a state of charge or discharge with everything connected.
2005 White STR Dual Cab: 2" ironman lift / 3" straight through exhaust / Racetech boost, water temp & EGT gauges / Scintex Snorkel / sunyee 24" 120w light bar, 32w light bar, 15w work lights & 7" 75W driving lights / GME TX3100 UHF / 2x2.5m ebay awning / Glacio 60L Fridge freezer / 100AH Deep Cycle Battery / Projecta 100A VSR / Baumr-AG BM-x20i Generator`

Old 20-12-2013, 09:21 PM

My Mood:

Sounds like a pretty good setup, but excuse my ignorance but do you just wire the LCD Voltage Power Analyzer Watt Meter in after the panels and before the battery.

Old 20-12-2013, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

My Mood:
Garage

If your having trouble dropping the temp, before you go away for the weekend pulg it into mains, the added food will make the fridge run harder and that extra juice will help coll it down :)

How is it all going?

My fear is that if i was to pass on, my missus would sell my toys for the price i told her i paid

Old 20-12-2013, 10:12 PM

My Mood:
Garage

I too would be interested in how the fridge performs...... looks the goods

See My Exploring Trips here: My Trips

Old 21-12-2013, 03:11 AM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-D40 View Post
Sounds like a pretty good setup, but excuse my ignorance but do you just wire the LCD Voltage Power Analyzer Watt Meter in after the panels and before the battery.
Hey mate,

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to hook this up too. I'm not sure if I should be connecting it to the panel input or the battery output.

From what I have read most people seem to be putting these on the input side of the charge controller, but i want to see what the panels are producing after going through the charge controller, i just have to find out if this is possible or not.

At the bottom of this link it gives several scenarios for how you would connect up their own type of watt meter. My understanding is that is goes from the charge controller output on the source side and then direct to the battery on the load side. It does say to go from the solar panel, so i am assuming it will be the output of the controller.

Good chance I will be buying some 30amp anderson connectors like these to make connecting and disconnecting easier.

Mike1303 - Both 12v & 240v are dropping the temps fairly quickly, its just interesting that it is more efficient at 12v.

All running fine so far. am just about to hook up the panels and test them out. It would be good to have the meter so i could see what the output is for overcast situations like right now.

Old 25-12-2013, 03:00 AM

My Mood:

Quality "Protable fridge" box.....actually comes very well packed.

Heading up to eildon just before New Years. This should give it a good run

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387936750.593431.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	13853

Last edited by stockstandard; 25-12-2013 at 03:05 AM.

Old 25-12-2013, 04:32 AM

for those who know, is the set up in the OP very efficient? is there a better way to go and a better fridge and solar set up?

Old 26-12-2013, 09:33 AM

My Mood:

There are definitely more tried and tested fridges out there that's for sure. The likes of engel and waeco all have a pretty reliable history as far as fridge life is concerned. There are reports of blokes will Engels that have been running for 30+ years.

The next thing to add to this setup is a ctek 250s dual. Main reason being is that I will be doing a dual battery setup for car and the 250s can handle a solar input as well as being the voltage sensitive regulator you find in most dual battery kits.

The solar panels I have already has an mppt regulator, but I seriously doubt it's a proper mppt reg. the 250s will replace this and more than likely do a better job due to the fact that is a multi stage charger as well.

All of this obviously adds up to bulk $$$, hence the reason a went with a cheaper fridge.

Last edited by stockstandard; 26-12-2013 at 11:02 PM.