EGT probe install

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baitfish

Reaction score
I finally got around to installing my EGT probe this afternoon. I was planing on installing a new exhaust system first and have the probe mounted straight into that but other things seem to keep popping up. So for the time being i went for plan "B" and was going to drill and tap it into the OEM dump pipe.

After removing the turbo temp shield I noticed where the EGR pipe was coming off the exhaust manifold. Thought what the hey its already blocked at the other end I may as well take the whole pipe out and put a blanking plate there. So an hour or so later I had both ends plated and I mounted my EGT probe into the blanking plate on the exhaust manifold.

Took the old girl for a run and everything ran sweet. The EGT gauge did fluctuate a lot more than i though it would. Is this normal or is it because where i have mounted it just reacts a lot quicker to change in the engines load?

Also the EGR pipe that i removed, does this feed anything else in the engine at all? Little bit worried now that I think about it, it be used for other things?

P1020122Y.jpg

That is the blanking plate and EGT probe on manifold.

P1020124Y.jpg

That is the other end where the pipe finished.

Any feed back or concerns you would have please let me know!

Thanks.

G'day Baitfish , mate my EGT fluctuates a lot as well ,mines an auber digital very responsive and accurate , mines pre turbo as well ,best spot for them .

I have mine post turbo just at the start of the dump pipe. Not quite as accurate as pre turbo but I am happy with it. I do notice it raises quick when under load but cools quick when my foot is off the pedal.

Nice install Baitfish, very good thinking to use the EGR port. Might be a good guide for others.
I would imagine you could keep the probe there after you put your new system on as well.

well i haven't had a chance to take it for a long run yet. took it for a short run into town this morning though and it was sitting at about 400 cruising at 100km/h. the temps never really stayed up either, as soon as i backed off the temps dropped down to 200 or lower.

did mine the same way a while back after someone on here suggested it.
most mine has got to was 600 or maybe 650, but havent seen it like that often, normally about 200-500

I took the ute for a run today after I installed my chip (couldn't resist the temptation of the $150 no-limit chip from Germany). Blasted the old girl along a flat 4th gear flat and I watched the needle on the pyro push past 600 and was chasing down 700, if I hadn't got off the gas i think it would have pushed past easily. As soon as I took my foot off the pedal the temps dropped straight back down to around 400 while at 100km/h.

Def need that exhaust sooner rather then later to open up the rest of the potential and reduce the temps while at WOT.

I took the ute for a run today after I installed my chip (couldn't resist the temptation of the $150 no-limit chip from Germany). Blasted the old girl along a flat 4th gear flat and I watched the needle on the pyro push past 600 and was chasing down 700, if I hadn't got off the gas i think it would have pushed past easily. As soon as I took my foot off the pedal the temps dropped straight back down to around 400 while at 100km/h.

Def need that exhaust sooner rather then later to open up the rest of the potential and reduce the temps while at WOT.

thats what scares me with a chip that simply increases fuel rail pressure
i spose you get what you pay for

yeah its true you do get what you pay for. But with the egt, water and boost gauges installed I feel pretty safe running it , should be able to keep a good eye on things.

I wish i had a fuel rail to increase the pressure in lol, but yeah same thing pretty sure it just opens the spill valve open longer allowing more fuel in.

It made a big difference on take off more than anything which I'm really happy about. It does pull harder through every gear but the take off it where I notice it the most.

Ordered a 2.5inch dump with a cat built into it last night off the old evil-bay. checked the sellers feed back and there were a heap of positive feedback for the same style dump pipe. Anyone brought one of these?

NAVARA D22 ZD30 3L TURBO DIESEL 2.5" DUMP PIPE w/ CAT | eBay

they look ok for the price but no bung on dump pipe for egt?
ive got a beaudesert dump/exhaust on the way
and will be installing a chipit with egt monitor
i need to get more grunt b4 i add larger tyres and a constant load in the tray
keep an eye on those egt's mate,does your egt gauge have an alarm ??
cheers
sparra

Its got an alarm at 750. No bung but I don't really need one seeing as I've got one installed pre-turbo now. I figure anything has got to be an improvement on the standard dump that seems to nearly press back onto itself.

Been burning around in the ute paying more attention to the temps and at 100km/h cruise its about 360 to 400. Off the line reving to about 2300 its gets to about 450 then soon as i'm at 60 to 80km/h drops down to like 300 or so.

So i figure those temps are pretty safe for now, until i get around to doing the rest of the exhaust and look at intercooler set ups.

hi im just wondering what are the dimensions of the plate needed if you were to do the same sensor install as baitfish did if anyone would know

Mine will climb easily past 700 if I let it...I live in a hilly area with quite a few long climbs but I always back off a little when it gets to 700....2003 cab chassis with chip express chip,everything blanked off and 3" system...

I know these are old posts but can anyone tell me what length of cable I need for the EGT probe? I am going with an Auber instruments gauge but not sure whether I need 2 metre or 4 metre cable length. I assume 2m would be fine, but don't want to order it from the states, go to install and then find out I am wrong.

Cheers

Depends on where you run the cable thru to the interior but pretty sure I used a 2 metre. You can length it if you have to, just use similar gauge wire.

Latest posts

Back