Installing an Oil Cooler.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bvandermaat

Reaction score
After Installing my Turbo and getting it tuned the car started to get warm running on the highway. I thought about getting it re-tuned but decided an Oil Cooler was a project I would not mind doing.
So I purchased a kit from ebay for $200.
oilcooler.jpg

Once I received the kit I pulled all the parts out to have a look and decided I was not sure if the hoses were trustworthy or not.
I then proceeded to remove my grill to gain access to the front of the car. After assessing the front end I decided the best place would be to the left of the winch with the top level to the bullbar. I bought a meter piece of galvanized steel from bunnings to make the mount from, cut it down to size and I was off.
IMG_20120204_102157.jpgIMG_20120204_102812.jpg

After fitting everything up and giving it a test drive I found a small oil leak coming from around the sandwich plate. I was chasing the leak for around 5 days constantly taking the sandwich plate off and trying gasket makers and thread sealants. I is a lot easier to get to the oil filter on the QD32 if you go through the front passengers wheel arch.
IMG_20120208_125343.jpg

Last edited:
Then getting home from work one afternoon the leak decided to up the anti and drop oil everywhere. I quickly found that the hoses that were supplied with the kit were not crimped properly at the 90 bend.
So off came the sandwich plate and the hoses once more. I headed out to the local hose shop to look for some fitting to repair the hoses with. They had nothing that would suit and directed me to Enzed.
Now I'm not rich so I went looking somewhere else. A place called Racer Industries who supply speedflow fittings.
After spending $96 I was off with brand new fitting and hose.
So an hour later and I had the hose cut to fit. The new connectors on the sandwich plate and the sandwich plate back on the block.
IMG_20120211_160211.jpgIMG_20120211_160610.jpg

After getting everything ready to go it was time to finish this install. So I connected the hoses to the oil cooler and ran them under the radiator past the aircon pump and to the sandwich plate.
A little bit of stuffing around and I had the hoses on. With speedflow fittings not having to be tightened to far to seal the most effort put in was to get up and move around for different tools. I then went for a test drive to make sure there were no leaks and beautiful all done!
So here are some photos of the finished result.
IMG_20120211_162255.jpgIMG_20120211_162439.jpg

Last edited:
Nahh mate I didn't, I don't have a temp gauge installed either.
I had a problem when I was on the highway for 3 hours of the oil leaking out of the dipstick. This is what put me onto the problem so I dropped the oil, stuck new stuff in and started planning this.

Hi there Bvandermaat,

When my QD32 had a leak out the dipstick I found it was the PCV blocked and pressure was building up in the block. Do you have a catch can fitted?

Alan

Gday Alan. I do have a catch can but I think the rubber tubing might be a bit restrictive for it to flow well. It has been on the back of my mind of a while. There is some oil collecting in the catch can. I was considering just putting a filter on the PCV out of the block.

Brodie

I had too much filter element in my catch can and this was causing the pressure to build. The hoses on my catch can are clear reinforced fuel line hose, probably 8mm inside diameter. I ended up using a scotchbrite as the filter inside the catch can and I found it works great.

Alan

Yeah I think there might have been too much in my catch can as well. I had two scotchbrite pads in and had around a meter of hose leading to the catch can.
I have decided to ditch the catch can in favor of a filter connected directly to the PCV outlet.

Latest posts

Back