Dropping in the TD27T

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinelli

Reaction score
There's been a few threads on this recently, but I got cracking on my conversion last night, so I thought I'd start a new thread here track the progress and make notes. I'll turn it into a proper build thread at some stage if I make some reasonable progress :) I'm sure most of those interested lurk down here in D21 land anyway.

I'll be changing both the gearbox and engine. Currently there is a KA24E with the original 71C 5 speed manual box. I replaced the Z24 a few years ago when it became a 3 cylinder Z18. Nothing really wrong with the KA (offers, anyone?), but the gearbox has been slowly dying, so using this as an opportunity to move to a diesel. Original plan was for a VG30, but the diesel Terrano turned up at the local wreckers at the right time. Having the Terrano parked in the shed there next to the Nav is a good plan and is helping me with the conversion.

Last night I removed the front 2/3 of the exhaust pipe. I was planning to replace the whole lot, but have noticed that the diameter of the two exhausts are the same. Their geometry however is different, so easier to keep the Nav exhaust for the back two thirds, and just use the Terry dump pipe and mate the two up the front.

I haven't removed the driveshafts completely, just unbolted them at the transfer case and let them hang out of the way. The Nav driveshaft is different to the Terry in that the Nav is a two piece tailshaft, with a bearing on the short, front piece (I'll get pickies up later). While its out, I'm going to get the bearing replaced as its shot - no longer centred which I'm sure is the cause of some odd shuddering noises when I take off in first.

Airbox and carbon canister are out along with associated hoses.
Next step is to remove the injection loom, fuel lines, vacuum hoses and battery harness from the RHS of engine, and a/c unit from LHS, to free up the KA from anything bar the engine mounts and gearbox.

How's everyone else going???

Will be watching this thread with interest.
Good luck with the transplant.
I won't be starting on mine for awhile gotta get over my knee operation first then finish an engine transplant on my mums car.
Plus my transplant will be accompanied with a rebuild onto a different chassis, panel,paint etc.
How long do you think yours is gonna take ?

Dunno. In this heat? Prob only evenings. Hope to have engine and gearbox out by Wednesday, without rushing too much :)

Right, so I'm leading the pack! Let's see if youse guys can catch up with me!

Tonight I removed the radiator, shroud and hoses, plus pretty much all the extraneous connections from the engine to the rest of the car. All that is left (I think), is the injector loom (obviously the Z24 won't have one of these), and the air con. Hopefully will be in a position to start lifting the engine tomorrow night.

One issue I have come across is that a/c compressor and mounting bracket are different between the KA/Z and TD. When I swapped the Z for the KA, I was able to tie the a/c compressor off to the side, and move the bracket from the Z straight on to the KA block. I think I needed to use bolts that were 5mm shorter, but otherwise nice and simple. No need to remove and replace gas at all. This time it looks like it might be a little more difficult

well you starting your conversion has got me inspired , I will get stuck into mine when i next get a break , but this is how mine sits right now, Exhaust Mani off , Radiator out and some wiring disconected and labeled , also bull bar and front off car to aid access.

Attachments

• IMG_0176.jpg
    IMG_0176.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 101
Well done. I went out this morning at about 10am, and lasted 5 mins. Just too bloody hot in the shed in the day at the moment. I'll be back out about 10pm tonight again.

10pm - got all the rest of the odd connections disconnected, and starter motor out. All that is needed to pull the engine is undo the engine mounts and bolts into the bell housing, removing the bonnet, and away we go!

Also spent some time looking at the loom for the TD27T and thinking *&%#*&^#*&%$*&$

If I can get away without swapping the whole loom over, I'd be happier.

Last edited:
Yeah the loom is what is concerning me , Im hoping the Z24 loom might be simple enough the i can use most of it and just swap a few things over for the TD27 , well hopefully.

Pinelli are you going to run an Auto ?

Yep, an auto. Unfortunately, that's where the complexity in the wiring seems to come from. The auto is run by an ecu that gets information from all over the car. If you're going manual, then I reckon you'll get away with a few minor changes.

There is another computer that runs the EGR. Pull that out it makes it all an awful lot simpler too., although I think it runs the tacho. Do you care about your tacho?

There is also a computer that runs the glow plugs. I'd love to do without that, and being in NQ, I'm sure it'd be okay most of the year, so I've got to think about that one. It's not a real complex system though, so it might be a fix up later sort of thing, or perhaps a manual button to run the glows. Actually, that's not a bad idea.

Maybe you could pull a glow plug timer out of
something like a 90's cruise/ patrol which would
most likely use a basic stand alone unit ???

As long as I can count to 15, I should be right, hey?

Alternatively, I could get one of my yr 12 Physics students to make up a counter circuit for me for their project :) RC circuit or 555 timer chip? Gotta be some science in that.

Been reading up on the glow plug ecu and it's a pretty complex sort of system for a 20 yr old car. Depends on time since switched off, water temperature, air temp in the inlet manifold and so on. Full heat initially, then partial and reducing heat. pfff. Push button and counting it is for the moment.

Incidentally, I plan to turn the shell of the Terry into a chook shed when I am done. The chooks are laying eggs in there already anyway. Might need another build thread.

Sounds like the factory over complicated things somewhat.
1 one thousand, 2 one thousand, 3 one thousand . ........ That'll do.

For the glow plug timer , you could use a basic style turbo timer except instead of cutting the ignition it will cut the power to the glow plugs.

By basic style what im refering to is what my old jackaroo had , you could choose 15 sec 30 45 etc buy just pushing the right button .

Or a momentary switch and count 15 sec, its not like the old diesel are designed to go anywhere quick , waiting 15 sec wont matter

Right, anyone know what the vacuum diaphragm on the side of the injection pump is for? Only thing I can think is fast idle control for the air con. It seems to control the throttle arm.
And the second picture is for the vacuum relay that I assume controls the a/c fast idle vacuum. Can anyone verify this?

I labelled half the loom when I pulled it out and then got bored :(

Attachments

• image-188591738.jpg
    image-188591738.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 94
  • image-2871907433.jpg
    image-2871907433.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 76
Hey mate i did some research and what ive found seems to confirm your theory , vacuum diaphram for idle control with AC.

As for the relay it would make sense that it control the fast idle on/off with AC

I asked a diesel Mechanic mate and thats what he said they sound like without seeing the parts

So, Christmas shopping and sick wife have slowed things down a bit, but I'm down to one bolt on the bell housing holding the engine to gearbox and they can come out.

It's the same bolt that gave me grief removing the Z24 3 yrs ago - top of the gearbox, and to the drivers side. By the time I get a spanner on it, there is no room to move it, let alone put any force on it. And from underneath I can barely reach up to put socket on it while on my back.

I've pulled the gearstick boot off and am going to tackle the bolt that way, from inside the cabin along the top of the gearbox, when I can get another 500mm or so extender for the socket set. Any other thoughts?

Back