Go Back   The Navara Forum > D40 > D40 Electrical

D40 STX 550 dual battery setup
Old 23-04-2013, 09:22 AM

Default D40 STX 550 dual battery setup

Hi guys, I'm looking a putting a dual battery set up in my navara 550. Im really not keen on putting the second battery in the tray, everyone I have spoken to said I cannot fit it in the engine bay. So I'm left with this option:

http://www.piranhaoffroad.com.au/news/index/article/21

It mounts under the cab and fits an Optima 75Ah battery. I would love a bigger one but you can't have the best of both worlds.

I basically just want it to run my 80L Waeco fridge for a day or two. I'm not planning on weeks and weeks away in the truck just yet and just a few lights.

Anyone have any thoughts.

Thanks
Sponsored Links

Old 23-04-2013, 09:38 AM

hmm looks good, i am also looking at other options as i don't like the tray idea either :)

Old 23-04-2013, 10:41 AM

Yeh I am totally against it mannick! I am keeping my hard top so I'm after all the room I can get. I got these under body kits priced today they are $285.00

Old 23-04-2013, 11:26 AM

Hey guys, I have a 550 also, I've gone this option -
http://www.offroaddownunder.com.au/i...stx&Itemid=288
sits above the wheel arch which is wasted space anyway.

2012 Lightning Silver ST-X 550, 2" Tough Dog suspension lift (9 stage adjustable), Mickey Thompson MTZ's 265/70/R17. 143L Brown Davies long range tank. "TheWetSeat" front & passenger seat covers. XROX black steel winch bar, KingOne 9500 lbs synthetic winch, Narva spotties, GME UHF & Antenna. IPad2 (passenger seat mounted) running Mud Maps HD + MudMaps M7 7" nav unit. ARB twin motor on-board air compressor, dual battery system. So far.

2007 Black ST-X D40 SOLD!!

Old 23-04-2013, 12:03 PM
rotartsinimdA

My Mood:
Garage

The 75Ah Optima battery is the D31A spiral-wound AGM which is a bloody AWESOME battery, nearly indestructible and from a full charge will give you about 60Ah of power.

Assume your lights are all LEDs and in total draw 1A which will be used for say 5 hours - for 2 days that's 10Ah leaving you with 50Ah of capacity.

I don't know what the Waeco 80L draws on average. My 60L Engel averages about 1.5A on a 50% cycle, so around 0.75Ah * 48 = 36Ah so my fridge would be fine.

Get your Waeco fridge hooked into an ammeter, load stuff into it and monitor the power consumption. That's the only way you'll get a clear idea of how long your battery will supply it with power.

Make sure the power leads from the battery to the fridge are nice and heavy - my Waeco upright in the caravan (5.5A draw) is very sensitive to low voltage.

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!

Visit the Australian National Navara Muster website: www.navaramuster.com.au

Muster sponsors - please support:
ARB, Forefront Industries, Tough Toys, Zordo's 4WD Suspension, 4WD Systems, Avenger 4X4,
Opposite Lock Narrelan, Opposite Lock Penrith, Harrop/Eaton E-Locker,
Seldom Seen Vehicles & Engineering, Ultimate Suspension, Berrima Diesel

"You can't fix stupid. Leave it be, and stupid will eventually fix itself - just stand clear while it does what evolution makes inevitable."

Old 23-04-2013, 12:15 PM

My Mood:
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by qecluke View Post
Hi guys, I'm looking a putting a dual battery set up in my navara 550. Im really not keen on putting the second battery in the tray, everyone I have spoken to said I cannot fit it in the engine bay. So I'm left with this option:

http://www.piranhaoffroad.com.au/news/index/article/21

It mounts under the cab and fits an Optima 75Ah battery. I would love a bigger one but you can't have the best of both worlds.

I basically just want it to run my 80L Waeco fridge for a day or two. I'm not planning on weeks and weeks away in the truck just yet and just a few lights.

Anyone have any thoughts.

Thanks
Hi mate, I run my 80l Waeco of a 75a/h optima. And in the middle of summer with the fridge in the canopy running at -15 it will last for two days and nights before it will cut out on the low voltage auto cutout on the fridge. I think it's the Hi setting you use to get the longest. The good thing is with these batteries is that they charge fast. Hope this helps.
EGR Mod, Provent Catch Can, YD25 double row timing chain conversion, ARB rear bar, ARB canopy, ARB bull bar, Nissan snorkel, Dual Optima's, Redarc BCDC1220, IPF Super Rallys,2-3/4 Beaudesert Exhaust, 3' SAX 3DS Rear Leafs, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Calmini upper control arms, Autron pllar pod, Auto Meter Boost and Pyro. Self built Roller Draws and Fridge slide. (still going) Big plans just need the cash.

Last edited by Navmania; 23-04-2013 at 12:17 PM.

Old 23-04-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2_tha_MFK View Post
Hey guys, I have a 550 also, I've gone this option -
http://www.offroaddownunder.com.au/i...stx&Itemid=288
sits above the wheel arch which is wasted space anyway.
That looks like a decent setup to hmm

Old 23-04-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qecluke View Post
Yeh I am totally against it mannick! I am keeping my hard top so I'm after all the room I can get. I got these under body kits priced today they are $285.00
What is included for that price mate?

Old 23-04-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannnick View Post
That looks like a decent setup to hmm
I did something similar, works for me, you lose some space, but not really anything you would notice. It's a pain in the Arse spot in the tray anyway.

Old 24-04-2013, 01:29 PM

My Mood:

What about water and water crossings etc with the battery mounted on the chasis rail like that.. Could that be an issue or are they not suceptable ? to problems caused by water etc...