Good car gone bad !!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren553

Reaction score
Hi al, got a problem with black smoke out of the exhaust - I used the search and although there are a good few posts none seem the same as mine so here goes.

D40 navara 06 with 88k. Full service history. I have owned for about 18 months and all was good until its last service (2 weeks ago) it lost some power and chuffs out black real black smoke above 2000 revs. ( I don't want to get ripped off by garage so I want your advice before I take it back to them ).
Wot I've done so far.
Fitted new maf sensor
Fitted new boost solenoid ( the one that has 3 tubes on it )
Reste ecu x3
Checked pipes to turbo ( all look ok )
Since doing this its back to full power although a little noisier than I remember but still belches out the black stuff ???
If I disconnect the maf sensor I lose power but there is now smoke at all however hard you drive it ( strange ).
Sorry for the long post.
All help really really appreciated.

Darren

Hey bud you may want to check your vacuum lines that go to the boost solenoid and then to the turbo actuator for splits cracks and loose fittings.. Seeing as you have been playing around the area where the solenoid is you may have poped off a vac line.. Give that a go mate but it most defiantly sounds like a vac line.

Last edited:
Hi mate I have checked them but will check again and I might just swap them for new to absolutley sure.
Cheers for the reply

I'd look at the vacuum lines as well.

I am not sure that it would be an issue with the fuel rail pressure sensor (or its return value). This is toyed with by chips - a chip will introduce a resistance in the return signal so that the fuel rail pressure looks lower than it actually is, so the ECM increases the fuel pump output = overfuelling and USUALLY an INCREASE in power.

That you're losing power means you're probably losing something - and since the smoke is there (means the fuel is too) then the thing not going in properly is the air - and that points straight at the turbocharger.

If it happened straight after a service I'd be looking at the vacuum line that comes out of the pump. It's located down beside the oil filter and can easily be knocked and damaged if the mechanic slipped off the filter or something.
Follow the line from the boost solenoid across the back of the engine and down beside the oil filter, then you'll see what I'm talking about and be able to check it out.

JPMC you are a hero ,thank you thank you thank you. One of the plastic lugs has snapped off - the one closest to oil filter. The lug is still inside the pipe that's dangling. I will try and glue it back together but if that fails what is that sensor called that I need to replace ?
Again you ate a hero thanks man

Wot a great site

Thanks to everyone else for taking the time to ready post.
Cheers guys
Daz

Has it broken off at the vacuum pump or on one of the other joins?
If it's come off at the pump then hopefully you should be able to just replace hose end. I can't be arsed walking outside to check but looking at the workshop manual it's a banjo style hose end so you should be able to get hold of a new one from a steeler or a second handy from a wreaker/breaker (like Thornton's in the UK).

So it's a vacuum pump ? It has 3 hoses from it and an electric connection. To get to it I had to take the wheel off then the plastic guard underneath the wheel arch and then all was clear. They must of snapped it off when the oil filter was changed. Going away for a couple of days so it will have a good run and I'll see if my glue holds up !!!! If not i will give thorntons a call, I've used them before and they seem to know there stuff.

Back