d22 oil leak inside exhaust runner

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unkn0wn

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Took my exhaust off when doing the turbo conversion and noticed a trail of oil from the depths of cyl1 along the exhaust track.

ive had the car about 7 thousand kms and never noticed any white smoke, or loss of oil...so it leads me to suggest it was a slow leak.

anyway, put the turbo on...started it up and let it run for a bit...saw it leaking out of cyl 1...(yes i have a snapped studd so there is an exhaust leak)..obviously its leaking a bit faster than i thought...

as you can see its dripping down the block :

GcMdXmP.jpg

GgM5x3M.jpg

any thoughts as to where this might be coming from?
its a QD3.2

cheers,
Christian

Valve stem seal? not much else it can be if its coming out of the port when operating.

I agree with Saitek. Not much else in that area - if it were introduced pre-combustion it would be burned and would present as blue smoke. Since there is no other real source of oil between the combustion chamber and the exhaust manifold than the valve stem.

It's also a remote possibility that behind where that missing stud goes in there is an oil gallery that the stud normally seals up, repair that and see if it helps.

Valve stem seal? not much else it can be if its coming out of the port when operating.

I agree with Saitek. Not much else in that area - if it were introduced pre-combustion it would be burned and would present as blue smoke. Since there is no other real source of oil between the combustion chamber and the exhaust manifold than the valve stem.

cheers guys, any idea how hard these are to change?

It's also a remote possibility that behind where that missing stud goes in there is an oil gallery that the stud normally seals up, repair that and see if it helps.

hey, it was there when i removed the factory one (pre broken stud) so i don't think that's possible.

I might get a mecanic to do both jobs, i have shit luck with removing studs...so maybe get one to do both jobs.

Yeah valve stems seals are not very fun, normal way head off remove valve and replace (of course have all of them done) other way is get two exhaust valve stem seals remove both cam/cams remove injector make up tool to pump compressed air into cylinder at bdc remove shims bucket spring collect retainer then pry off valve stem seal and replace put spring and retainer assembly back together remove compressed air source put cam back in etc. This only would work on a direct injection motor or spark ignition. You use compressed air to hold the valve up while you take all the retainers off so you don't need to remove the head.

Latest posts

Back