reading fault codes

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nissan_510

Reaction score
Hi Guys, ive searched, and found nothing,
I have a 550 and im wondering if you can flash the fault codes on the dash or similar, (without having to go to the dealer) like you could on the YD? and does anyone have a list of codes. cheers.

Welcome to the forum.

There may be a pedal sequence to it, but I don't know it myself. I use a bluetooth adapter on my OBD port and read the data off in real time on my phone anyway - so I'd have to go hunt for the codes for my car if my phone was unavailable (and that'll happen when I'm dead or unemployed).

As for the codes, they've been moving to industry-standard codes since about 2007 so you could just google something like "obd P0128" or just go straight to a site like http://www.obd-codes.com or http://engine-codes.com and look them up.

We've not had a lot of success getting the V9X service manuel (yes, that's spelt correctly, it is a Spanish document after all).

Try this eBay item for an example. You can get them smaller and slightly cheaper, there are heaps available. They MUST be ELM-327 compliant.

Once you have that, head over to the Google Play Store if you have an Android phone and download Torque. If you have an iPhone, I can't help you, sorry.

Try this eBay item for an example. You can get them smaller and slightly cheaper, there are heaps available. They MUST be ELM-327 compliant.

Once you have that, head over to the Google Play Store if you have an Android phone and download Torque. If you have an iPhone, I can't help you, sorry.

Hi Old Tony,
Thanks for this, you really are a wealth of information, I am ordering this for my D40 STX 550,
Thanks

Hi Old Tony,
Thanks for this, you really are a wealth of information, I am ordering this for my D40 STX 550,
Thanks

Thanks, I have my $7 OBD Bluetooth reader from ebay that you recommended and downloaded torque lite (and scan master) from the google play store for free and now can read just about everything on the vehicle and even read and clear fault codes. Just brilliant and don't need to visit a dealer anymore to tell me what the engine light is on for the software not only gives you the fault code but a description of problem.
Thanks Tony

Just wondering what those from the i part of the tech world can do. Or is this one of the things that we can't do when we sell our souls to the ghost of Steve jobs.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411592937.959720.jpg
Uhh duhhhhh do a little search on App Store and found a few.

No good
Get a real phone
I had the torque app In the nav, now its in the f6
Love it and haven't seen anything even come close in the apple world
It is 2014 mate, iphones are soooooo 2006

No good
Get a real phone
I had the torque app In the nav, now its in the f6
Love it and haven't seen anything even come close in the apple world
It is 2014 mate, iphones are soooooo 2006

That's cool Sparra. You just have to be aware that I am living still in 1996. So my iphone rocks. Had galaxy2. Doesn't integrate into my world as well. When car stereos really start talking to android I will rethink. Haha

^ car stereos are now coming out with Android as the OS. You can then add web browsing, text-to-speech, speech-to-text, movies, music, games - whatever you want that you shouldn't be doing while you're driving!

There IS a place for iPhones in this world, especially if you want a device that's difficult to stuff up when you're clicking around, but in our household that particular place gets taken away by a big white truck every week.

Unfortunately I don't know what the name of an appropriate iPhone/iPad app would be. Searching the iTunes store for "obd" would very likely yield some results.

I think the biggest single advantage in having a tool to read the OBD error codes is so that you can call BS when the service guy tells you it's reported something else.

One of the nice features of the Torque app (for those that are able to use it) is the graphical track of not only where you've been, but how fast you were going at the time. It's saved one person I know from a fine - policeman called him speedster, he pulled out his GPS-fed record showing he was well UNDER the speed limit through that area, cop walks away without getting closer to his quota.

Thanks tony I found several apps in the store. I do apologise for these couple of posts as I think it's what stArted the whole apple v android poll. Haha. No more about phones hear, but I may investigate these apps a little further as there are quite a few to go through.

any updates on the iphone apps to use with the obd sanners? I'd be interested in one as im sure my Nav's got a few little intermittent issues lately.

Russ,
No, our ZD30 Navaras are peculiar in that they have an OBDII port but are not actually OBD compliant.
I think you can read codes manually by bridging terminals and watching the engine light, counting the flashes etc. I'm not sure of the procedure, I think Tweak'e may have posted instructions somewhere so you could try to search for that.
Otherwise ECUTalk is free software for Nissan consult diagnostics and has lots of engine monitoring features. You do have fork out $100 odd for the cable though.

http://www.ecutalk.com/interface.aspx

In which case this would be the one you want for the ZD30:

ECUTalk USB Cable with OBDII plug ($100 + post)

For the very few Nissan vehicles with a OBDII plug
that are NOT really OBDII, but still original Consult:
Patrol/Navara/Terrano with TB45E or non-CRD ZD30
R50 Pathfinder with VG33E. Any other, contact us.
Wont work on REAL OBDII cars

Russ,

No, our ZD30 Navaras are peculiar in that they have an OBDII port but are not actually OBD compliant.

I think you can read codes manually by bridging terminals and watching the engine light, counting the flashes etc. I'm not sure of the procedure, I think Tweak'e may have posted instructions somewhere so you could try to search for that.

Otherwise ECUTalk is free software for Nissan consult diagnostics and has lots of engine monitoring features. You do have fork out $100 odd for the cable though.

http://www.ecutalk.com/interface.aspx

In which case this would be the one you want for the ZD30:

ECUTalk USB Cable with OBDII plug ($100 + post)

For the very few Nissan vehicles with a OBDII plug

that are NOT really OBDII, but still original Consult:

Patrol/Navara/Terrano with TB45E or non-CRD ZD30

R50 Pathfinder with VG33E. Any other, contact us.

Wont work on REAL OBDII cars

Wouldn't that just be a obd2 to serial to usb?

I use the Icar2 unit and dash command app for the iPhone,
I have read codes off my 550 a mates yd d22. along with falcon, vw bora and a yd d40 no problems at all.

Latest posts

Back