Blocking egr help!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brodywhite

Reaction score
I blanked off my egr and now aeems to be using three times the amount of fuel cant find any answers anywhere its so frustrating all the pics people post arnt even the same as mine I have a 2013 d22 thai built

You've got something seriously wrong, post a pic of where you blanked it.

Blocked it here

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1407559545106.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1407559545106.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 249
I just blanked my egr 2 weeks ago (also 2013 D22 That built). I have had slightly better fuel economy and better throttle response. Did you use a copper gasket sealant? Picture shows where I blanked mine. Included battery terminal in pic so you have a reference point. Cheers

Attachments

• 20140809_143648.jpg
    20140809_143648.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 179
Sorry mate, you just beat me to it. Yeah that's same place I blanked mine and have had no issues. As above did you use a copper gasket sealant on the blanking plate before installing it?

Did you have to do anything else like butterfly mod or anything like it says everywhere else not sure if thats for older models or not but no I havnt used gasket sealant on mine do you think that would be the problem?

I think the butterfly mod is for the older zd30 engines. I don't understand the mechanics of it but yeah not usibg a sealant could well be the issue, might be throwing off the readings at the sensor and the computer is compensating by pumping more fuel in. Perhaps someone can confirm? I used Permatex Ultra Copper gasket maker that I bought from Supercheap

It's not under immense pressure and not enough to need sealant.a simple block off gasket tightened correctly will suffice. The increase in fuel consumption cannot be the result of this mod,is there anything else you have done?.

Im using a digital fuel reader thats pluged into the obd2 port and tells me the instant fuel just when doing say 50kph its reading im doing 30+ lts per 100klms

just make sure all of the 4 x bolts are done up firm and no leakage from each join in this short egr pipe . as in pic.

Maybe do a real time fuel test? See what you get from a tank and put it against what you used to get. Just my thoughts, but I'm a fool lol

Im using a digital fuel reader thats pluged into the obd2 port and tells me the instant fuel just when doing say 50kph its reading im doing 30+ lts per 100klms
Look at the gauge per quarter of a tank you should achieve 200kms plus. The d40 fuel economy thread is a good one to visit.Unrelated to the 22 but worth a look.

Unless you calibrate those fuel readers correctly they aren't even close... A few of the guys in the d40 area have been testing similar ones out and they take a lot of fine tuning... As above, the most accurate measure is how many km you are getting from a tank.

If you suspect that the EGR block has caused a problem, the very first thing to do is to remove it, return the vehicle to the way it was and see how it goes.

From a technical perspective, blocking the EGR generally isn't capable of increasing fuel consumption because the EGR dampens combustion, reducing efficiency and thus raising the amount of fuel required to do the same amount of work. There are some anecdotal tales about how inhaling your own farts is good for you, but apart from telling which meal makes the paint peel and which ones you should never, ever let rip in an elevator, I generally don't like breathing in after my backside burps and I don't expect my car to either.

check your air filter.

one downside of blocking egr is the engine uses more air. with egr the egr replaces say 30% of the air, so you only have 70% of air going through the air filter, turbo, IC which it can flow easy enough even when partly blocked. with egr blocked it has 100% air going through filter, turbo, ic. so any faults such as blockages (dirty air filter), hot air intake and leaks will cause issues.

tweak'e surely you are having a lend of us . the engine uses more air because the egr is blocked .? get the f@#k out of here . to
quote the great John Mcenroe "surely you carnt be serious"

He's 100% right. The EGR normally (at all times except idle and full throttle) provides part of the gas volume in the combustion chamber. Without EGR, that same volume needs to be filled, and has to come from somewhere - and that's through the air filter.

Thanks for all the info guys it may be just the guage im using as its going all weird going up and down constantly so I will fill up a full tank and see how many ks I get

how do you think the air that was turned into exhaust gas got into the engine in the first place , engines do not run a seperate intake for the percentage of air that is going to turned into exhaust gas and sent back into the engine via the egr . blocked egr or not blocked egr it all goes in via the air cleaner .

Last edited:
Back