zd30 won't start

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtr19

Reaction score
What are the main things to check when a zd30 won't start?

The Nav has been getting harder to start over the last couple of months and this morning wouldn't start at all. It did fire slightly twice but that's it. I assumed it was glow plugs as it seems to have gotten worse as the days have been getting colder. I replaced them and still no go. (one was missing a tip, but that's another matter)

I have:

charged both batteries
replaced glow plugs - checked they get power and the relay works.
drained fuel filter and re-primed the fuel system.
tried my stock ecu as I have been running the rumpig tune
checked all fuses in the car and under the bonnet (that I can find)

got the codes out of it.

0905 Turbo Pressure
Circuit malfunction, Charge Air Pressure Sensor failure

0407 Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit, Sensor or ECM failure

0203 Accelerator Position Switch (incorrect signal sent to ECM) Accelerator Position Switch fault or ECM failure

0707 Fuel Injection Timing Control System
Circuit malfunction, Injection Pump Control Unit failure, Poor fuel quality

I have never checked codes before and this was also the original ecu that wasn't in the car when it stopped working.

The tuned ecu that was in the car when it wouldn't start had the following error codes:

0407 Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit, Sensor or ECM failure

0707 Fuel Injection Timing Control System Circuit malfunction, Injection Pump Control Unit failure, Poor fuel quality

Last edited:
What an odd assortment of codes. First thing I'd check is the battery-to-engine earth cable.

Diesels are simple beasts. Given fuel, they'll start when turned over.

Giving fuel requires: fuel delivered to pump (try the primer, it should go firm in 3-4 squeezes). Pump working. Injectors opening. You can tell if fuel is getting in if there's a diesel smell in the exhaust.

Injector opening times are also important. Opening them in the exhaust stroke is not helpful! Check the CAS/CPS (can't remember which yours has, might be the CPS). Needs to have a good electrical connection.

0407 and 0707 make it seem like it's timing related, could be the crank sensor or could be air in the fuel. Put some 10mm clear hose either side of the fuel filter and check for air. Have you got ecutalk? whats the ICV%

I don't have ecu talk at the moment, but I have a cable on the way. I have drained the filter and re-primmed it, but it doesn't even fire for a moment.

Disconnect the hose that's the outlet of the fuel filter and stick it in a bottle and pump the primer till fuel comes out the hose, then reconnect it. They get an air lock if everythings connected when you pump the primer after replacing the filter.

The resistance on the crank angle sensor was ok also

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Still no go it's looking like the pump. The crank angle sensor has been replaced and now there are no error codes. The primer and fuel lines have been replaced as it wasn't priming very well. The starter motor has been checked as a cause. Going to check continuity on all the wiring from the pump loom.

Having codes on the original ecu suggests somethings been going on a while, check engine light only comes on for certain things but codes get stored till erased. Hard to guess without being there to look at it.

The pump hasn't got enough pressure to get a single injector to open. The pump is coming out.

The electrics on top of the vp44 are known to fail from heat cycling. Don't know how to test it and they don't sell it separate either.

Does it turn over and flatten your batteries? I'm guessing starter motor that's what the problem was with mine.

Does it turn over and flatten your batteries? I'm guessing starter motor that's what the problem was with mine.

engine is givining him time and fuel related problems (most of them like 0707 are the fuel pump) so it must be the starter, good guess! not.

i mean i know that forums are like that but just because someone somewhere around the globe had a problem, it doesnt mean it matches the other ones anytime someone feels like. not trying to start anything just saying. much love luke i know you tried to help at least!

engine is givining him time and fuel related problems (most of them like 0707 are the fuel pump) so it must be the starter, good guess! not. i mean i know that forums are like that but just because someone somewhere around the globe had a problem, it doesnt mean it matches the other ones anytime someone feels like. not trying to start anything just saying. much love luke i know you tried to help at least!

The starter motor draws to much power and ecu doesn't have enough voltage to work properly. Mine was throwing all sorts of codes like that.

Your correct Luke and I know what you mean I've seen the same thing happen. If you look at page 1 of this thread you'll see his pump has shit itself, so it looks like in this case the starter and battery are fine mate.
Cheers

luke i know what you mean but he switched the ecus and got the same 2 faults again stored, if the starter fails it either cant turn the engine over at all so its dead or tried a bit and runs the battery out of power, but stil he might got voltage or similar codes. on the 2002 d22's anyway the ecu forgets any stored codes the moment it runs out of power. sadly i think his problem is the pump. whether the "modified" ecu helped in destroying this simingly fragile unit, this i dont know and he might need to contant the person he supplied the "remaped" ecu.

The pump was dead. It's being replaced. They are saying it appears that a restriction in the return line has caused a component to fail damaging something else in the pump. I hope to get better detail when I get it back.

Mate I had similar codes thrown during my issues my issue turned out to be 2 broken bolts in scissor gear in the timing from a broken tooth

can you run a couple of jumper leads to the starter motor with the main car battery disconnected ? this test should eliminate your issues with ecu etc etc.

Latest posts

Back