Asking price for v6 2011 stx

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenns

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm new here so firstly hello. Secondly, I have a 2011 v6 navara with 201,xxx kms on it and have recently done a bottom end bearing which I am not too happy about.

I have been quoted close enough to $10k for a engine swap over that only has 19,000kms on it.

The two options I'm looking at is:

1. Replace motor and sell it; or

2. sell it as is and let someone that can do it themselves deal with it.

The only thing I don't know is what is a fair asking price for either option?

Thanks

I'd look at the Redbook value and take off the cost of the motor. A rebuild will probably cost more, it's a lengthy job - unless you DIY.

Any idea how it dropped the bearing? That's the first one I've heard of.

If you want, there's this motor. Shaves a couple of thou off the cost, if you can DIY.

Hi Old Tony and thanks for the reply. I'm not sure how or why it dropped the bearing as it ran fine leading up to it. I was not driving at the time so I don't even really know how the vehicle was performing on the day it did it.

I followed every scheduled service and had it done by a fully trained mechanic that has worked on my vehicles for the last 10 years. When I rang Nissan to see if they would help with some of the cost under goodwill the service manager said they had replaced 4 of the v9x motors this year alone.

They gave me a quote of $25k to replace the motor which is why I'm looking at other options as I can't justify the brand new motor. I can get one for $7000 with 15,000kms on it so I think at this stage its my best option.

Thanks for your suggestions. Keen to hear many more to work out what I'm going to do!

25 grand.... fark that.
Probably double what my ute is worth.

My thoughts exactly ben!

Yep when I first rang about the problem and to book it in I told him (Nissan Service Manager) the rear main seal is leaking and there is a knock in the bottom end. Before anything else he said to me "You've spun the bearing". I asked how he knew that and he replied "I've done 4 this year". He then asked me how many kms on it and I told him 201,000. His words were "F&*k, you have had a good run. I've replaced them at 15,000km".

I was taken back quite a bit by this as my ute had ran great up until this happened. I put 201,000km on it in 3 years travelling to work and back (320km per day), serviced it as per the recommendations and had no dramas other than the EGR when it had about 30,000km on it and it blew a main engine fuse at about 150,000km.

I asked them to lodge a good will claim after he told me they have replaced 4 this year but of course it fell on deaf ears due to kms as this meant it was out of warranty.

I would like to find out exactly why all 4 that they say they have replaced have failed so I can let others know. I can't even get an explanation from Nissan themselves why mine or any bottom end would let go with no signs of it happening.

Its interesting that the V6 starts using oil at about 9,000, just before each oil change is due. Seems like the oil breaks down before the service interval. Let it go to 12,000 and the low oil light comes on.
Think I will do in between 5,000 oil & filter changes from now on.

glenns, what bearing went ? you say the bottom end, is this the lower conrod to crank big end bearing or the main crank bearings ? if its the conrod lower you can replace the bearing or bearings just by removing the engine sump pan as you can get at the conrod big ends bearing cap bolts without much drama. a good mechanic and a hoist plus a cost of no more than 1k would do this repair, if its the conrod big end.

$25K for an engine change - Damn Son! For an engine that's still in production, that's just CRACK PRICING.

First it was transmission issues, and now potential engine issues.

The D40 certainly is one dogged model!

Latest posts

Back