Advice on painting the sports bar and wheels black

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutnut

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just seeking some advice on the best way to paint my sports bar and wheels black. I would like a satin black. I'm not sure about plasti dip though and I am thinking of using normal paint. How would I best prep the sports bar so the paint will be durable. Do I need to have the chrome fully sand blasted off or not? Can it be lightly sanded and then use a adhesive undercoat before using the black? What type of paint would be the best, enamel or acrylic?

Also the same on the wheels. I have priced it to be done two ways, one painted by a wheels repair guy, cost $130 a rim. I priced it to be sand blasted and powder coated at $150 a rim. Both seem to be too expensive so would prefer to do it myself but again not sure about the best way to prep them with out extensive sand blasting back to bare metal.

Any advice appreciated

Cheers

Plus with powder coating, would you not have to have the rim off the car, the rubber off the rim and be left with it like that as long as they need it.. okay if you had spares.

Okay so I'm no expert painter, never have or will like painting but your pretty much onto it with your thinking.(WILL OUR RESIDENT PAINTER PLEASE CORRECT MY MISTAKES)
Clean everything up real shiny, give everything a light sand depending on your desired result,just make sure its cleaned free of dust after. Everything i paint black i use a high temp engine enamel. (Flat or gloss) rarely use a primer and its all still there.using a primer would be a better option id think. Couple primer coats, couple colour coats plenty dry time and your done

Follow mannings prep directions thier basically right..use a green kitchen scour pad to ruff up the wheels and alloy bar cheap and work perfectly.i normally use wyatle super etch in black..sticks like glue to a well prepped surface.gives you that satin black look and lasts well if 2 coats are applied.dries in 15 mins also .great stuff.

Back