air bag sus

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamp

Reaction score
hey im just wondering.
i can get my hands on a cheap air bag set up.
as everyone knows d22s have shit suspension. ive got a 06 and my leafs are flat. i no air baggs r normal use for carrying extra loads to spot sag
i want to no what people think of having air bags use as a lift?
would it work? wat would the ride be like?

Without a load, and the airbags pumped up the ride would be harsh. But it would assist with boosting up your suspension.

Why not just add a leaf into your leaf spring pack? probably easier?

I have air bags and I hate them! Very handy at times and you can achieve a 50mm lift but the ride off road can be absolutely crap. I find that i am constantly pumping the buggers up. I wouldn't get them again I would get the SAX leaves, might still get them.

Cheers Brad

With air bags you're also running the risk of bending the chassis at the contact point of the bag.

The leaf springs are mounted on a reinforced section of the chassis. Unless you add similar reinforcement to the contact point for the air bags, you're introducing a weak point. I would suggest that you don't become another statistic with a bent chassis (which could = vehicle write-off).

If you can't afford replacement springs, adding a leaf as suggested above is a great idea. Don't bother trying Ironman Load Plus Helper Springs. I had them - they really don't help much once they age a little. They're ok at the start, but they just become a liability later.

hey im just wondering.
i can get my hands on a cheap air bag set up.
as everyone knows d22s have shit suspension. ive got a 06 and my leafs are flat. i no air baggs r normal use for carrying extra loads to spot sag
i want to no what people think of having air bags use as a lift?
would it work? wat would the ride be like?

The leafs are designed to be basically flat with the Nissan from New---does not mean they are RS at all.

If you can get your hands on another set that are good, why not just put the whole spring pack in?

With air bags you're also running the risk of bending the chassis at the contact point of the bag.
Unless you add similar reinforcement to the contact point for the air bags, you're introducing a weak point. I would suggest that you don't become another statistic with a bent chassis (which could = vehicle write-off).

My d22 has a canopy , heavy duty steel roof rack, 2 spare wheels on top of the roof rack, drawers in the tub and a two tonne trailer everyday, air bags pumped to 50psi, Air bags have been in for 2 years now and have not bent the chassis. D22s are tougher than your average ute!

Last edited:
I have air bags and I hate them! Very handy at times and you can achieve a 50mm lift but the ride off road can be absolutely crap. I find that i am constantly pumping the buggers up. I wouldn't get them again I would get the SAX leaves, might still get them.

Cheers Brad

Who installed them? Mine might loose a couple of psi over 6 months but thats it, if your loosing air check all your hose connections.

Bending/breaking only seems to be a problem with heavy loads towards the back of the tray with the airbags pumped up a lot to level the vehicle. On that also, the photos I have seen have all been tray backs, not tubs, so I guess people maybe able to put more weight further back than what they could in a tub...

Who installed them? Mine might loose a couple of psi over 6 months but thats it, if your loosing air check all your hose connections.

I did, they've been in for almost four years now and are getting progressively worse. Maybe it's a problem with the brand. I've checked everything several times and have been told I'm loosing air when I go over things like large speed humps etc.

thanx for the input guys. i think i might just save for new 2 inch lift leafs. i could pick up a full are bag kit for $100 so thats why i asked the question coz it was cheap

I agree with most replies.
For the same money you can get a good set of springs that will give you lift and load carrying ability.

Unless you add similar reinforcement to the contact point for the air bags, you're introducing a weak point. I would suggest that you don't become another statistic with a bent chassis (which could = vehicle write-off).

My d22 has a canopy , heavy duty steel roof rack, 2 spare wheels on top of the roof rack, drawers in the tub and a two tonne trailer everyday, air bags pumped to 50psi, Air bags have been in for 2 years now and have not bent the chassis. D22s are tougher than your average ute!

Your still creating a shear point on that part of the chassis, its like turning the chassis rails into a see saw with alot of weight on each end, after a while the rails just fail under the strain due to having a load put on them that they are not designed for. Using heavy duty leaf springs has the added benefit of creating a double shear point on, as said, two much stronger parts of the chassis. I saw a d40 fail like this on fraser island, not the cars fault just a retarded owner...

Now I am not saying you can't have airbags but just like anything in life common sense has to be applied and you can't assume just cause you can pump the bags up more to take the load that the chassis can deal with it as well.

You'll find the D22's have extra strengthing where the air bags mount, so I have never been worried about the chassis bending.

i ve had a set of boss air bags in for 4yrs and there great! good for towing and when offroad just link them together.

Latest posts

Back