Air Locker or E-Locker

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bax84

Reaction score
Hey guys, just looking for a summary.

Pro's and con's of each. I'm leaning towards an electronic locker for the front, although it's a long way off.

Air locker you need a compressor. You can hear it working.

E-Locker. No compressor. Can't hear it working.

Anything else? Chances of breaking air lines vs breaking electrics plugs etc? Price comparisons, 1600ish for the elocker. Same if you went air by the time you added the compressor etc?

Don't necessarily have to hear an air locker working. You could always set up an air tank in there with pressure switches so it turns on and off automatically to maintain air pressure for the locker.... That would also help with doing tyres, as it has a bit of a buffer so won't need to run as long.... Obviously though there's a lot more parts involved in this, which means more to go wrong...

For the amount of time lockers are actually engaged ,I cant see why noise would be an issue.

my compressor is next to the air box under the bonnet and you cant hear that.
Hey mate, Ive got 2 compressors, exact same models, One in the tray and one under the bonnet. I cant pump up my tires with the under bonnet compressor as it overheats, the compressor in the tray has no probs.
Have you had any issues with overheating cut out on your compressor?

the one under the bonnet is only for the locker and dosen't seem to overheat but time will tell, i have a big compressor in the toolbox in the tub conected to a 25litre air tank for tyres and tools and you cant hear that either.

Hey guys, just looking for a summary.

Pro's and con's of each. I'm leaning towards an electronic locker for the front, although it's a long way off.

Air locker you need a compressor. You can hear it working.

E-Locker. No compressor. Can't hear it working.

Anything else? Chances of breaking air lines vs breaking electrics plugs etc? Price comparisons, 1600ish for the elocker. Same if you went air by the time you added the compressor etc?

Have you considered a mechanical auto locker ? no electrics or pneumatics but you can't turn them off so to speak, they do however ratchet freewheel when turning corners, that's the way I'm thinking of going if I can ever afford it.

Hadn't thought about it, not for the front anyway. Didn't really trust them to lock when I want and not lock when I want. But I hadn't really looked into them either.

If anything I'm leaning towards an elocker. But I'm ages off going anything.

I recently had an E-locker installed in the front and couldn't be happier! Haven't done anything crazy with it yet so can't speak for extreme durability but within the next week i'll really be putting it to the test so i'll let you know.

Plenty of threads on this and these diffs and whether or not front or rear best ....the stories go on.. and not a common opinion

12 months ago a diff place had the rear diff apart to shim it up, turned out the centre was that flogged out it wasn't repairable... The elocker was cheaper than a new LSD so I went for the rear first ( obvious reasons) a mint or so ago I snapped a pinion shaft in the front diff so figured I'd get the locker installed on the replacement diff before fitting to the ute.,,, twin locked now and loving it:.,,

I like the idea that whilst the car is running there is no shortage of 12 volt power.. But with air lockers there is the extra link in the chain by needing the compressor to activate..,

Just my thorts..,

Latest posts

Back