Blue Smoke On Start Up

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bourke72

Reaction score
Hi Every one, my 2013 D40 2.5 7,000ks blows a puff of Blue smoke on start up cold just after the glow plug light goes out that when i start it, only this once does it do it, straight after that if i rev it a little no blue smoke and when it at normal temp no smoke at all. As other have mentioned on this forum i can also smell a UN burnt fuel smell or others have described it as wiring burning smell but im sure its fuel! Are the glow plugs working properly is the fuel not being burnt off properly on initial start up. I know blue smoke usually means rings but that would mean blue smoke all the time and it's two months old? Your thought appreciated or has any one else been experiencing this??

I had a 2008 D40 2.5 from new and it had the DPF on it which i assume caught all the smoke and i never saw or smelt this with that model!!
Cheers
guys

Last edited:
Blue smoke means oil, and in the modern turbocharged engine that could mean:

* Overfilled sump with excessive oil lost through the PCV. Examine the intake of the turbocharger for oil residue. Check sump oil level and consider a catch can.

* Turbocharger bearing seals. Not a common problem, but it has happened before.

* Stuck (gummed) piston rings. With a vehicle that young, you'd have to be bloody unlucky, is all I can say.

* Some other fault in the fuel system. Some D40s have had a problem with diesel getting into the sump oil (you might check the smell of your sump oil).

A puff of blue smoke on start up seems like worn valve stem seals, when the engine is shut down some oil leaks down onto the back side of the valve from the stem and then when started that oil is blown in and burnt. I can't imagine an engine with such low k's having worn seals though so I'm unsure, one thing for sure though is blue = oil.

Thanks guys i might touch base with the dealer, very thing you guys have mentioned sounds right! but its only happens once and once only on cold start up. if it was one of the things mentioned it would be doing all the time wouldn't it be- valve stem seals would be blowing blue all the time wouldn't it be? and piston ring all the time etc etc.

Hi guys,
Where is the PCV located, having a similar problem with mine and thinking mine might be valve stem seals after stuffing my catch can filter by trying to clean it and back pressuring the engine, only blows blue smoke when cold after backing off then back on,
Cheers

Latest posts

Back