Cheap intercooler setup - Anti turbo go bang damage????

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
only problems with the xr6 ic is probably not able to fit in a winch if you want/have one and as with all front mounts, lots of piping to run.

i could not fit winch and front mount, even using the micro cooler.

Ended up going top mount with the micro and was a quick and easy set up, i even made an elaborate bracket for it that holds the catch can.

The extra room where pipes ran thru to front mount is where the dual battery will go after doing the yd25 snorkel onto the zd30 thing. I dont know why anyone would want the 80 seriies air box. Takes up too much room in my humble opinion, although I know some on here have done it and are happy.

Last edited:
heres some terrible photos.

The air compressor will be mounted somewhere else when i get off my arse and get dual battery set up.

Attachments

• IMAG0276.jpg
    IMAG0276.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 120
  • IMAG0275.jpg
    IMAG0275.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 138
  • IMAG0274.jpg
    IMAG0274.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 116
Cheers all,
Looked at the XR6 setup, but as I will add a winch eventually it's not really an option.
Nice looking rig Charlie... you got a bonnet scoop and fan hooked up?
80 series airbox gets good rates for the extra airflow and as it sits in place of the prefilter, it'll actually create some space for me!

So I finally sussed out how I would install a water cooled intercooler but then when i turned to the radiator mount I realised that it would be fitted in front of the AC heat exchanger as well. Can anyone see this being an issue?

My rough calcs give about 0.1kg/s of airflow and assuming that its at 9psi thatts roughly 100 deg C. This means if Im dropping the boost air temperature by 40 degs ill be shedding ~4kW into the radiator.

This a worst case scenario mind you if operating at full boost for an extended period of time. This will probably only occur on the highway when there is plenty of airflow so shouldnt be too much of a problem?

Maybe when four wheel driving I might operate under high boost with low airflow though? Hopefully the higher heat capacity of water will help me out in these situations.

Would the radiator block the engine radiator up much?

I know when my AC heat exchanger was clogged up with mud it made a bit of difference, making my AC not as cold as possible. But it was fairly clogged and had hardly any air flow at all. I couldn't see it being a massive problem. That's just my assumption.

I suppose I was more concerned about my intercooler H/X, blocking my AC H/X which is blocking the radiator.

Maybe its not such a problem

The D40s run intercooler -> aircon -> radiator -> cooling fan. You'll be shedding a lot of heat off the intercooler but it's not all in one spot and the radiator should handle it.

My guess is your worst thermal performance will be when there's minimal airflow and high ambient temps with a hard-working engine. Like towing up a steep hill in summer.

Luckily I dont plan on doing alot of towing so in that case I think I shall proceed, thanks for that old tony, its nice knowing that the D40s have a similar setup without issue. Though that is air to air so will be slightly different.

Back