Chinese In Dash GPS

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhv001

Reaction score
Hi all. I just bought a new 2012 D40 ST. I am thinking about changing the standard stereo for an in dash gps system with a reversing camera option. I've been looking at those Chinese in dash units you see on eBay. I'm interested to find out what people have to say about these units and how good (or bad) they are compared to some of the big brand name units.
Here is a short wish list of features I would like in the unit:

- decent sound quality
- Bluetooth telephone connectivity
- option for external mic, so that I can use the original mic in he ceiling
- Bluetooth audio streaming
- USB connection for iPod
- reverse camera option with the camera screen coming on automatically with selection of reverse gear
- steering wheel buttons continue to work
- gps with street and offload mapping
- aux audio input
- fit neatly in the 2 din slot of the D40 (I believe the depth of the unit is a limiting factor due to a structural support running behind the head unit)
- can't think of anything else at the moment

The more of the above features that any unit has, the better.

Your comments will be appreciated.

Hey mate
Ok I use to have one in my d22 it cost me 300 bucks it was a xtron gps unit

Ok first thing first for 300 bucks u get what u pay for

Not bad sound wise but only with cd and USB Bluetooth audio with a phone sounds like a really bad auto tune.

Wiring is a bastard u have to know what u are doing becoz we found alot of wires where marked wrong.
Once u have overcome that and it's installed they don't read your finger very well.
Gps was good but u can't update and it comes on a sd card and u have to put it on to the computer and download cracks.
DVD worked fine.
Bluetooth with calling people was a fail.
I had tv on mine but that was another pain.

All in all I would save up and get a good one if your thinking long term.
This time I just bought a gps tom-tom and thinking of just getting a DVD screen cheaper that way best of both worlds no massive price tag.

Hope this helps cheers Wayne.

Yeah mine nav came with a similar one. It is mean to be a GPS model but didn't come with the maps so I can't comment on that feature.
It has a reverse camera and bluetooth/ipod/usb etc etc and all works "just ok" but it does lack the better features and user settings like speaker frequency control and subwoofer control etc. The sound quality is pretty average and the radio signal is very weak (not sure if that is an aerial problem yet) but overall for the price you pay you get a lot of stuff.

Yeah, my biggest concern is ruining what is a good setup with great Bluetooth phone quality for something average at best. My previous car didn't have Bluetooth , so I had a Motorola sun visor clip on thing. Making phone calls with this thing was a real pain. Poor audio quality and the person on the other end could hardly hear me with all he background noise. When I used the Bluetooth in the Navara, to call my wife, she didn't even know I was in the car driving. The sound quality was awesome. The only downside with the standard head unit is it has no screen for gps or reverse camera.

If I can find a place to permanently mount a portable gps unit without looking inviting for thieves, then it might be a good way to go. I would want a unit that has a reverse camera option though. I believe the VMS unit can take a camera, but seems a little pricey.

hey guys, haven't posted here for a while. I've recently purchased a DIG options stereo from ebay after positive reviews from here and elsewhere. Should arrive in the mail this week so I'll let you know but it does everything - DVDs, GPS, reverse camera, USB, Ipod, etc...

I'm sure there are better models out there but most of them are > $800 for similar features...

I have fitted a cheap ebay one to my father in laws Prado. I have monitored it over the last 12 months. He has found it to be ok, he uses it for the radio and reverse camera mainly.

My findings are:
phone bluetooth is very average when it works
FM reception was ok
reverse camera supplied was really fuzzy and almost useless at night
the accuracy of the screen was off, you would have to touch to the right to select items
the gps was not accurate
it is compatible with off road mapping, this is an option that had to be purchased separately, father in law purchased hema maps however the unit itself was difficult to navigate around.
wiring was a nightmare as a fair bit was marked wrong
steering wheel controls wouldn't work either

the unit arrived damaged in the box, the old unit had to be sent back before any action was taken. After 4 weeks and numerous emails the new unit arrived.

My advice is to purchase from your local supplier.

I have recently purchased an Alpine unit for my D40, cost me $1750 installed, it was a sale price.
that was the unit, an alpine direct connect camera (great image quality) this also then leaves the aux inputs for additional camera, and steering wheel controls.

everything works a treat, gps, camera, bluetooth, radio etc.

The only thing and its a personnel preference, I am not a big fan of the Alpine mapping. If I was in the market for another unit I would purchase a Kenwood, same great features and kenwood use Garmin maps.
You always learn these things once you have already purchased.

Last edited:
I've had a DIG options unit installed for about a year now. Everything on it works, need to realise though that for $500 there will be some limitations. Limitations for my unit are:
- the radio cuts out whenever I change to navigation and also when touching ANY buttons in the navigation.
- bluetooth phone works fine but can be hard to pair. would be good if the unit could read the iphones contact list
- ipod connectivity can be dodgy and sometimes requires you to remove the cable and start again.
- off road mapping with OziExplorer as mentioned before can be hard due to small button sizes, a stylus would make the job easier.

Otherwise I am pretty happy with my unit, for $500 it does the job quite nicely.

The guy who installed it (he's based in Darch, WA) said to come back and buy one of his units for $1000. From memory it was a JVC but he imports them himself and specifies what he wants in them. His name is Sam and his company is Tools on Wheels 0414 477 587.

got the install done last night, came with a loom to suit the nav so plug and play (besides the reverse camera).

I have a few minor issues with it, but definitely not the end of the world:
* media player file compatibility - playing a dodgy file will make the whole unit freeze (BSOD almost)
* steering wheel controls seem a bit dicky
* bluetooth found my phone but refused to pair with it

but ozi explorer works, gps works (just need updated maps). came with a stylus which definitely helps.

jason - with my unit i was able to recalibrate the screen, just by touching four points. might help things?

all in all, very happy.

Latest posts

Back