Chip tune (chipit) vs unichip

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofx

Reaction score
Hi
I'm after your thoughts. Recently I got some info and quotes from chiptune and from an installer of a plug and play unichip. I'm not sure which way to go:
Unichip
Plug and play.
Limited tunes (5 I think).
Tunes rail pressure, timing and injector open time.
Installer said chip adjusts boost as well, but I thought that because ours doesn't have a MAP, it needs a manual boost controller.
Built in throttle controller, but not driver adjustable.
Coolant sensor to restore factory tune should it get too hot.

Chipit
Plug and play.
Many different tunes.
After sales service in that tweaked tunes can be sent to me and installed by me if required.
I asked for DOM3 but was told by chiptune that only DOM1 (rail pressure adjustment only) plus MBC were all that was required.
So, rail pressure only.
MBC
Optional EGT sensor to restore factory tune should user set high temps occur.
Throttle controller extra, but it is adjustable by me.

Previous conversations I had with Chiptune were that the DOM3 was a better way to go because by adjusting multiple parameters it meant that no single parameter needed to be squeezed as hard, so I am unsure why now a DOM1 was recommended. I need to go back and ask Robert further questions.

By the time I purchase the MBC, EGT watchdog and throttle controller, prices are comparable.

My questions essentially boil down to these:
Is coolant monitoring better or worse than EGT monitoring? My gut feel is that EGT monitoring is more real time and that by the time coolant temps get high it may be too late? On the other hand, an EGT spike up a long pull or through soft sand might be meaningless if engine coolant temp stays within limits. I just don't know, any help is appreciated. I should add that unichip offers EGT monitoring as an extra add on.
Next, is my basic assumption that tuning multiple parameters is better than just adjusting one of them?

Also, is anyone using one of these? http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

Apologies for the long post.

Thanks!

Unichip is well known for being the best in the business, but Chipit has been around for a while and they do as they claim. My Chipit module is 4 years old now and still going well, we had to detune it a bit on the final dyno run as the temps started to spike. Have you thought about going down the remap track?, the claims are they can achieve a safer and more powerful tune than a chip alone. Price is around the same too.

Unichip hands down is the second best chip on the market atm. It has many more features than a simple rail chip. It is worth paying the little extra.

Kettle chilli is my personal fave

I'm partial to those lime and black pepper ones.

No one's mentioned that ultra gauge that I linked to. I only had a quick look at the website but it looks like a gauge sized display that connects (either plug or wireless) to the OBDII port. Thoughts?

The german made DTE is the most advanced chip on the market. I have one on my rig and it does more than the Unichip although most people will not need the functions that it has.

Ok.

EGT all the way. You can get the gauge from forefront industries for next to nothing. http://www.forefrontindustries.com.au/#!gauges/c1851

Chips? Stick to kettle like above said. They are rubbish.
Unless your going to get a uni chip professionally installed and dynod.

Have you looked into a remap?
Honestly, my d40 gets done tomorrow for less then I paid for a chip (I have now on sold because they are rubbish)

Sorry I should add, chips work, they also fail.
They either do one of a few things rarely both or more,
1 raise rail pressure (not ideal if you ask me)
2 increase injector timing more fuel in more burn more power

When you break it down do either sound ideal? Given how much pressure these things run on already?

All this said, it's your call. With today's technology why wouldn't you just remap it?

Sent via smoke signals

Last edited:
Running a higher rail pressure is fine as long as you can monitor it or have it set correctly. I currently have mine set to a maximum of 1700Bar. The DENSO rail found on all 2.5L is capable of running up to 1800Bar, I heard this directly from one of the engineers at DENSO. You will find the system is limited by injector technology, the rail and high pressure pump will happily run well over 2000Bar. The new injectors Bosch are currently bringing out are capable of running 2500Bar. You will start to see this on the newer European diesel engines that have to meet the strict Euro 6 Emissions standards

Running a higher rail pressure is fine as long as you can monitor it or have it set correctly. I currently have mine set to a maximum of 1700Bar. The DENSO rail found on all 2.5L is capable of running up to 1800Bar, I heard this directly from one of the engineers at DENSO. You will find the system is limited by injector technology, the rail and high pressure pump will happily run well over 2000Bar. The new injectors Bosch are currently bringing out are capable of running 2500Bar. You will start to see this on the newer European diesel engines that have to meet the strict Euro 6 Emissions standards

That's awesome! Done some.great research mate. Cheers
This information isn't passed on to people buying the product. And I'll bet they have them cranked right up too, fast cars sell more chips etc etc

Sent via smoke signals

Been away for work for a couple days. Nah, never thought about a remap. I've only recently heard of people doing it, I thought I read not too many months ago (maybe a year? I lurk a lot but don't post much) that the chips were read only and couldn't be remapped.

If they have to lift the chip and reseat it, that is quite a risky thing. It's one thing to solder some wire for a decent connection but its another to solder a chip with who knows how many pins. Heat and dry joints are the things I worry about. I'm only guessing that they might lift the chip though.

I asked Robert at chipit about his previous advice regarding the DOM3 and he said they withdrew it for the Nissan. Makes me wonder why. Anyway, I'm steering clear of it and looking at unichip.

Love my remap! Took a few hours. Was cheaper then my first chip and she's a different Beast now!!
All the best with what ever you decide to do

I had a Chip It chip on my YD25 D22 custom dyno tuned by Torque n Tune and was pretty happy with the end results. Recently the chip died on me though and didn't seem to be doing anything and when I tried to reprogram the map on it I got a memory error.

Robert from Chip Tuning does a trade in on old chip it chips for $750 but decided to pay more and go a remap instead. Very happy with the results of the remap. Same power numbers on the dyno but it feels like more power was gained down low. Second gear is pretty vicious now when you plant the foot.

Latest posts

Back