Cranks but then dies - is it worth investigating or just lighting a match

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My partner has a 09 d40 Spanish built diesel. I have very little car knowledge and he won’t join these places to add posts to ask.
He was driving in the highway yesterday at 100km/hr. The car died whilst driving everything switched off. Pulled to the side of the road tried to start it again, it cranks over for a second or 2 and the small shake/splutter and dies again. Revs aren’t moving over 1000. If he holds the ignition on it will stay on but revs still not holding - once he lets the key go it dies
Is it worth looking at things , is it dead?

It sounds like a failed ignition switch, if it's only working while the key is being held.

That's no huge problem really, especially compared to the cost of getting a whole new car. You might have to get a new barrel from a wrecker (you can almost be sure that a Navara that's been wrecked in any sort of collision had a working ignition switch when it ran into something).

You could try Central Coast Wreckers, 14 Lucca Rd Wyong (02) 4352 2443. I've bought stuff from them before, they're quite helpful.

Latest posts

Back