D21 or TD27, which do i have

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rohan93

Reaction score
hey all i got a 1991 nissan navara single cab ute, its 4x4, on the compliance plate it said D21 p/up, however there is another plate saying motor: TD27, which it actually has in the car and has been there since 90 when the car was made, do i buy parts for a TD27 or D21?
it gets sooo confusing haha, also im after some cheap LED rear taillights, and some info on doing a body lift, i do all my work myself

also being new to deisels as of friday last week, how many kms should i expect to a tank with a TD27, driving normal, w/out revving the guts out in every gear???

sorry for my ignorance, thanks guys

:D

hey all i got a 1991 nissan navara single cab ute, its 4x4, on the compliance plate it said D21 p/up, however there is another plate saying motor: TD27, which it actually has in the car and has been there since 90 when the car was made, do i buy parts for a TD27 or D21?

D21 is the model code. 1986-1996. TD27 is the engine, fitted between 1988 and 1996. If you're buying CAR parts, quote D21. If you're buying ENGINE parts, quote TD27 fitted to a D21 Navara.

it gets sooo confusing haha, also im after some cheap LED rear taillights, and some info on doing a body lift, i do all my work myself

Buy a kit that includes bolts since long enough bolts in very fine thread pitch don't exist on shelves in Australia - let someone else do the hard work sourcing the bolts.

also being new to deisels as of friday last week, how many kms should i expect to a tank with a TD27, driving normal, w/out revving the guts out in every gear???

Reving it out in every gear doesn't really make a whole lot of difference to fuel economy in the TD27, and being a small diesel don't be afraid to rev it even if it does sound like a cheese grater across a rusty oil drum.

Your tank size depends on if it's a single/king or dual cab. The tank is 80L in the single/king, and 60L in the dual. Expect something like 550km out of a 60L tank before the gauge looks empty, the rough average I've found is 10-11L/100km. That figure will skyrocket if towing anything. The engine is pretty much at the edge of the envelope at 110km/h when the car is unloaded.

D21 is the model code. 1986-1996. TD27 is the engine, fitted between 1988 and 1996. If you're buying CAR parts, quote D21. If you're buying ENGINE parts, quote TD27 fitted to a D21 Navara.

Buy a kit that includes bolts since long enough bolts in very fine thread pitch don't exist on shelves in Australia - let someone else do the hard work sourcing the bolts.

Reving it out in every gear doesn't really make a whole lot of difference to fuel economy in the TD27, and being a small diesel don't be afraid to rev it even if it does sound like a cheese grater across a rusty oil drum.

Your tank size depends on if it's a single/king or dual cab. The tank is 80L in the single/king, and 60L in the dual. Expect something like 550km out of a 60L tank before the gauge looks empty, the rough average I've found is 10-11L/100km. That figure will skyrocket if towing anything. The engine is pretty much at the edge of the envelope at 110km/h when the car is unloaded.

awesome, thank you mate, whats the best way to boost the power output, is that why everyone jumps to QD32? i ride dirtbikes so that all ill really be towing, and that will probs be on the tray, but those are the answers i was looking for, thanks mate

awesome, thank you mate, whats the best way to boost the power output, is that why everyone jumps to QD32? i ride dirtbikes so that all ill really be towing, and that will probs be on the tray, but those are the answers i was looking for, thanks mate

No worries dude. The most common power-up is the turbo engine from a Terrano (that came from factory with a TD27 turbo), my personal choice is the QD32 from a newer Navara with an Urvan's turbo and intercooler.

No worries dude. The most common power-up is the turbo engine from a Terrano (that came from factory with a TD27 turbo), my personal choice is the QD32 from a newer Navara with an Urvan's turbo and intercooler.

ohhh so mine must already be one then, cos mines a turbo, i thought thats what the TD was??? so it the TD27t that the turbo?

ohhh so mine must already be one then, cos mines a turbo, i thought thats what the TD was??? so it the TD27t that the turbo?

Yeah sounds like somebody's already done the swap, OR it's an AXT or similar aftermarket turbo kit. Easy way to tell is to see if the crossover pipe that goes from the turbo, over the rocker cover and onto the intake manifold is cast with the word TURBO on the top in large letters - if so it's a factory TD27T, most likely from a Terrano.

No, common misunderstanding - it's a "T" series engine, "D" as it's a diesel, "27" as it's 2.7L and yours has a "T" as it's a turbo.

Yeah sounds like somebody's already done the swap, OR it's an AXT or similar aftermarket turbo kit. Easy way to tell is to see if the crossover pipe that goes from the turbo, over the rocker cover and onto the intake manifold is cast with the word TURBO on the top in large letters - if so it's a factory TD27T, most likely from a Terrano.

No, common misunderstanding - it's a "T" series engine, "D" as it's a diesel, "27" as it's 2.7L and yours has a "T" as it's a turbo.

aaahhhh dude your a lifesaver atm haha, yeah its genuine, i think its a bodge home job transfer though, the compliance plate on 1 side, sais D21 and another sais motor: Td27 im not sure if theres a T after it though, but the intake piping is a real dodgey home made job out of old exhaust piping and a pod filter -.-, need to find a proper airbox

any idea if terrano should fit?

thnaks dion

aaahhhh dude your a lifesaver atm haha, yeah its genuine, i think its a bodge home job transfer though, the compliance plate on 1 side, sais D21 and another sais motor: Td27 im not sure if theres a T after it though, but the intake piping is a real dodgey home made job out of old exhaust piping and a pod filter -.-, need to find a proper airbox

any idea if terrano should fit?

thnaks dion

No worries. Any airbox could be made to work, the Terrano one will mostly bolt in if you can find one for a reasonable price. None of the compliance plates will have "TD27T" on them as they're fitted at factory and aren't updated when a new motor is fitted, except in QLD where there should be another separate mod plate.

Latest posts

Back