D40 Buying Decisions

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmcleay

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm keen to buy a D40, auto, diesel.
Currently I'm looking at a 2009 ST-X, low kms (36k), for low $31-32k.

However, I have noticed that more recent models have some significant improvements.
e.g. the MY10 ST-X comes with the upgraded engine having 450Nm (and better fuel economy). I'm guessing this is just an improved tune, rather than improved components??
Plus MY10 has more airbags, bluetooth stereo, bigger wheels, etc etc
The MY10 ST-X models appear to be around $5-7k dearer than '09. i.e. $36-38k.

Then, I noticed for around $35k, you can get a 2011/12 Series 6 ST model. Which I understand are the Thai build ones...
Some ads show it has having the 450Nm engine, but redbook suggests that Series 6 only came out with the 403Nm engine...
Can anyone confirm whether Thai build = 403Nm?

I've been reading a lot on these forums the last few days, and there doesn't appear to be an overwhelming preference for Spain/Thai builds.
My personal preference would be Spain, since they have been running there for a number of years, and should have ironed out any bugs in manufacturing.
Oh, and Spanish build has the baby seat anchor points, which i'll eventually need.

My guess is it's not really worthwhile spending and extra $5k to get the torquier engine, since you could spend a few $k on the 403Nm and get pretty good improvements anyway.

Feel free to give advice or offer suggestions.

Cheers,
Hugh

It's my understaning the Thai built models have the 403Nm of torque engine.

The Spain built higher output engine has a different actuator for the Variable vane turbo, higher fuel rail pressure and I think has a slighlty different cylinder head.

Hard to say which country of origin is better. I have heard the Thai built models have less issues than Spain built trucks but looking around on the road it would appear there is more Spaniish built trucks running around. So who knows?

Let's see how good my memory is.

However, I have noticed that more recent models have some significant improvements.

The 09 was still fairly low spec'd because the DC market then was still largely commercial so not as many mod cons were added. I can't remember what they did to the 10 models but they did increase the Killer wasps from 127 to 140. But essentially it is the same engine from memory. Price range seems about right although i haven't had a need to look for second hand cars recently so I can't confirm.

Then, I noticed for around $35k, you can get a 2011/12 Series 6 ST model. Which I understand are the Thai build ones...

I am pretty sure the Thai's all had the 127KW motor (it's in more than one thread on this forum) even when the Spain ones got the 140KW, however that may have changed in the last 12 months given the changes Nissan have been suggesting will happen this year to D40 range.

Oh, and Spanish build has the baby seat anchor points, which i'll eventually need.

Personally I think that's a better reason than the ironing out of issues, especially if you need them. All manufacturers will have issues at some time and while there is some and manufacturing issues can be found at any time in any car. There is plenty of us on this forum who haven't had issues with 09/10 models and there is plenty who haven't had issues with 11/12 models. Most problems are luck of the draw.

My guess is it's not really worthwhile spending and extra $5k to get the torquier engine, since you could spend a few $k on the 403Nm and get pretty good improvements anyway.

That's entirely a personal choice, my 140KW engine has towed over 3T of cows on more than one occasion, my 140KW does regular mid 9's and not so regular 8's in the economy. My 140KW suits me because I really can't be stuffed modifying a new ute just for a bit of extra power.

I'm convinced the Thai built D40s were only ever 403nm
http://www.nissan.com.au/~/media/Files/Brochures/Specifications/D40-Navara-Specification.ashx
Only the RX is built in Thailand now (and maybe the king cab) - they all have 403nm.
My 2010 Thai ST has 403 but engine output is more than enough (once the turbo kicks in).
I see the newer engines see better economy by about 1.5-2l/100 which is a fair bit.
I'm happy with my 2010 ST and I had a child restraint put in for $180 from a mob down on south road.

Come over for a look/test drive if you want ;)

My old 2010 D40 was a Thai build and 403nm/127kw,
my new 2012 is a Spain build and has 450nm/140kw.
This ute is basically the old STX 4cyl (minus a few little touches) now badged as a ST so they could keep the STX range for purely for the new V6 engine rather then running the STX in two different engine sizes, this may have bolstered the V6 sales as from what i herd they weren't selling that well along side a cheaper ute with all the same features.
As for how they achieve more power and better fuel economy, its done with allot more then just "A TUNE"
like others have said it has a totally different cylinder head, turbo , ECU, and a few other more minor tweaks.
I also think that my Thai built D40 was actually built slightly better, less rattles and squeaks
However the Thai chassis is actually made out of thiner steel, a boiler maker friend of mine pointed that out when welding the brackets on for the Sliders.

You can also buy a brand new ST for 38k drive away at the moment/

Latest posts

Back