d40 gearbox in d22?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrian27arg

Reaction score
hi, my name is adrian from argentina.
I have a 2011 nissan frontier (or navara, or hardbody) np300 D22 crew cab, made in mexico
Engine: YD25DDTi 2.5L 133cv.
Trans FS5R30A 4x2.
Diff CA200 3.7 without LSD
no abs sensors

My Project is replace the original 5 speed gearbox for a 6 speed gearbox FS6R31A from nissan frontier (or navara) D40 with 2.5L 172cv 4x4. motor block are similar

the original overdrive is 0.760 and the d40 overdrive is 0.827
the original diff ratio is 3.7 with 195/80 r15 tire.

the other part of project is replace this original rear Axle for a Toyota hilux rear axle 3,583 with LSD and 225/75 r15 tire.

the final modification is minus of 2% of final ratio difference in the floor.
The real advantage is the the first ratio, I need more short. the LSD, and tire with more contact patch

first step is eliminate the 4x4 transfer case.

second step is change or modify input axle. the d22 and d40 bell are compatible. the input axle are different.

Another difference is the speedometer. I think the d40 acquires information from the system ABS and I think no sensor in the gearbox, this afirmation is correct?

somebody make this modification?

thanks for you help and ideas

Last edited:
Sounds like a good project. If the input shaft spline count is different, it shouldn't be too hard to get a clutch plate to suit the input shaft spline with the same overall plate diameter to suit the current flywheel. Alternatively, if the d40 flywheel is the same diameter and clutch plate is the same thickness, a plate from one of those should work fine.

Are you sure your diff is 3.70 all the NP300 4x4 here in Mexico (and mine) are 4.62.All diesels come with 15in wheels,gas motor np300 4x4 all have 16in.Would be great if you can fit 6sp.Also all the ones here in Mexico come with LSD.

thans for you answers.

The outer input shaft in the out of gearbox is different in diameter, spline, long, large...
These input shaft in the inner the gearbox are similar?
Somebody interchange the input shaft between d22 and d40 gearbox?

in my country is very dificult locate flywheel or clutch from d40 on second hand. sale entire motor.
maybe is more easy and cheap modify the input shaft in a the CNC machining center

my truck is 4x2 in the spec says: not LSD, and the trans axle 3,7. the label under the hood too says trans axle CA3.7

Greetings adrian!!

you should come to Chile and buy D40 stuffs, even then i think is easier to convert your 4x2 D22 to 4x4 buying all the part in Chile. 4x4 Comes with LSD back, gearbox and trasfer are about 250000 pesos chilenos. Is your d22 Look 4x4?? or is the common shorty with the diesel engine?? that motor doesnt fix with the mexican built D22, weird.

I think the project you want to do is way to complex to make it useful, D40 gearboxes are known to be very bad, needs change at 30k kms or less.

I suggest you to use D22 components and leave it 4x4 with original components(I mean no D40 parts)bought in Chile.

Anything you need from Chile, send me a PM and I'll try to help you.

Greetings!!

houndour, you are chileno??? talk to me in spanish jejejjejeje, the google traslator no are 100% efective.

thanks for the offer .

for now I'm not interested 4x4 , reaches me with LSD diff for gravel and want a short ratio to apply at the mountain roads ( little oxygen to over 3000m in Los Andes) . I carry an ATV in the cargo box and other two in a trailer .

I did not know gearboxes D40 are bad, is possible be broken by the D40 engine power , but D22 engine has 30 % less power than the D40.

so I am also thinking of another option:
From d22 4x2 gearbox out a short shaft , then a ball bearing and then a long shaft to the differential. One possibility would place the transfer box D40 (with reduction 2.6) taking the place of the short shaft .
Thus retain the reliability of the gearbox D22 , retain a long overdrive, and add a short ratio to move loaded in the mountain.

hear opinions :)

Yes adrian, I'm chilean.

I'm living in antofagasta and the altiplano is my terrain, so I'm always 4wheeling from 2500 to 5000 meters, I know what I'm talking about.

My D22 with original gearbox can handle very well the altitud and the towing/loaded job.

The ratio of the gearbox works great with the yd25 and 5th gear on altitud. D40 on mining industry got destroyed, couldnt keep up with hilux and l200, d22 still being in use for hardwork.

If you only want a lsd, then get a look 4x4 version or 4x4. Keep all the rest.

Greetings

Latest posts

Back