D40 manual 08 noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitzy

Reaction score
Hi guys old girl done 280k on her misses says when going through the gears it makes a funny noise in gearbox ( only when clutch pressed) when in gear not a noise she took it to a guy he said yep clutch going on its way out it still has DM in it then she took it to another guy and he said noise does not sound like clutch he drained the oil and found metal in box ( the magnet) I had never changed the oil .he then goes shit think ur input shaft bearing is stuffed that blew me away they put oil back in it and says u better take to transmission pl.So she picks it up seems find then drives it back parks it I drive it clutch seams very stiff so I flog the crap out of it heard a little noise when I put clutch in but was ok could not get it to slip.She goes to drive it to work noise back (😫)any advice I'm in Sydney workin and misses at home in Bathurst
Cheers Fitzy

1 only makes noise when changing gear it's ok when it's in gear
2 the other guy said input Shaft bearing
3 I think it sounds like a clutch

OK, so, either way the gearbox has to come out. If it were me I would pull the gearbox and have a good look around the clutch first. My bet is that it will be clutch related, in fact, it's almost guaranteed if everything is quiet when it's in gear. Probably the thrust bearing running on the shaft without enough lubrication.

The gears in any gearbox do wear over time, so I wouldn't be totally surprised to see a bit of fur on the magnet after that many K's.

If you get under the car, there is a rubber boot around where the hydraulic clutch cylinder pushes against the clutch 'lever'. If you take the boot out, you can generally use a torch to see a bit of what is happening inside.

Another good test is to see if it makes any noise with the car turned off, if the noise is there when the clutch is pressed with the car off, then it's almost 100% clutch.

280K on a manual's original clutch/flywheel is excellent. Things that could be making noise when the driveline is unloaded like that (noting that the clutch doesn't appear to slip normally):

* Input shaft bearing worn causing the shaft/bearing to wobble
* Thrust bearing damaged or worn/broken lifting fork
* Pressure plate bearing worn or damaged springs in plate causing uneven pressure
* Damaged springs or spring mounts in flywheel
* Cracked/warped inner flywheel face
* Delaminating clutch - holds together under pressure but flaps when released

As above, gearbox may have to come out. Inspection is required. If replacing fly/clutch, consider Exedy HD with SMF. You'll get more vibration out of it when driving (should only just be perceptible) but if your DMF has lasted 280K, the SMF will outlive you, your kids and your grandkids.

Latest posts

Back